Re: [scrumdevelopment] Sprint Planning - Sprint Length

  • Rohan Sarker
    Message 1 of 39 , May 31, 2011
      We select Sprint Length = 7 Days, 15 Days, 30 Days depends upon the
      Work you are doing while implementing the User Stories and the Backup
      of Data in DAT / TAPES & Sprint Planning Time Duration Dpends upon
      Team Skillsets, Leadership Skillsets, Intelligence of Planning Tool
      Used, Chip Intelligence Used for Closed-Loop Monitoring, etc

      When our work is to develop CHIPS what matters how much intelligence
      we are putting on it and on it success or fail rate and this has some
      correlation with Sprint Length and generally we see if the CHIP Talks
      too much out of the context and for long we blame it on failed
      TRANSISTORS......

      Regards
      Rohan Sarker
      +917278539338
      +913324288069

      On 6/1/11, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:
      > On May 31, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >
      >> Yes, they will. In fact, that's kind of the point. There is no time
      >> to mess around, you have to actually do the stuff right.
      >
      > Yes.
      >
      > --mj

    • Andrew Burrows
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 2, 2011
        Hey Wouter,

        From what you're saying, it sounds like you're relying on longer sprints to hide inefficiencies in your current processes. Perhaps the team could inspect these and find ways to fix them?

        Andrew

        On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

        This is a very useful discussion, thanks.

        Like Charles, I've been starting teams out with two week sprints. Mostly because, usually, there are plenty of difficulties for them to get any work done within those two weeks: CI and release building problems, backlog/story preparation, insufficient testing, etc. So I thought aiming for a shorter sprint would set the team up for failure, and might discourage them too much from using Scrum. I do always include a 'shorter is better' talk when choosing the sprint length with the team, but recommend two weeks.

        What you're all saying is that one week would be better, right from the start. I was wondering what the way do deal with the failure is. Or  (since the obvious answer is: fix the impediments first, go faster later) what you do to keep the team positive and engaged with adopting Scrum when their first sprints fall far short of (their) expectations?

        btw, in Dutch we have a saying: "Zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden", which roughly translates as "Gentle healers make stinking wounds", meaning a direct thorough treatment of a problem is usually better, because half-measure could make the problem worse. It seems appropriate in the context.

        Wouter

        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, Charles. On Wednesday, June 1, 2011, at 5:41:32 PM, you
        wrote:

        >> I believe you are missing a lot by settling for two weeks.Fair point.  I can't say my mind has changed on the matter, especially wrt to the team context for the teams I've coached, but I'll give it some consideration.

        > Do you believe that to be true for most teams?  Is it your view
        > that most teams should do 1 week sprints?

        Yes.

        New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
        the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
        them?" -- H. G. Wells

        --
        Wouter Lagerweij             | wouter@...

        --