Re: Release management in Scrum

  • martin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2011
      Hi, my 5 pence:

      1) why are there so many bugs that keep the senior dev occupied fixing? Talk about this in the retrospective. And why is it the senior who fixes things, and not the whole team? It was the team as a whole who let slip in the bugs, no?

      2) if you need to explore/analyse what has to be done for the next sprint: don't start to do this until the whole team is available; them do some design spikes until you know enough to plan the next sprint.

      It might hurt to say, "we cannot start to plan the next release, we have to fix the bugs in the last release first", but the whole team is responsible for what is released.
      If the releases are frequently bugged, make it visible that quality is the problem right now, and take care of that first.
      If you don't know enough to start the next sprint, make it clear that you need some time to explore the possible technical solutions. Working prototypes will almost certainly convince PO and clients.
      THEN, when bugs are fixed and you know your options, you kick off the first sprint for the next release.