Re: [scrumdevelopment] Experience requirements for Scrum (team)(was: Re: Scrum Guide interpretation)

    Message 1 of 87 , May 3, 2011
      > I'm not even convinced that it is a good idea to adopt Scrum "by the book" without appropriate coaching.
      I've always had a similar feeling, especially after some of my coaching experiences.  I believe, and this is somewhat self serving to say, that I've saved companies and teams from making huge and/or costly mistakes with their implementation of Scrum.  I've always also felt that, as a Scrum Coach, to say anything like this, would be viewed as highly self serving.  As such, I generally avoid saying so.

      OTOH, I think that organizations can succeed with Scrum if a) they have someone who is highly Scrum knowledgeable and b) that person has enough influence to effect change in the way the organization uses Scrum.  Generally speaking, a Scrum Coach almost always has those 2 traits, but I leave the possibility open that someone else could fulfill that role.  After all, that's where I started, as a "stealth" Scrum Coach.  I think I'm a much better coach now, but even back then I was able to help the org use Scrum effectively.

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach
    • strazhce
      Message 87 of 87 , May 4, 2011
        Hi, Adam,

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        > In my opinion it is not the responsibility of the coach to do these things
        > per se. Rather, an experienced coach can help guide an organization to do
        > these things successfully based on his experience.
        >
        > You don't hire sherpas to climb the mountain for you. You hire them for
        > their knowledge of the terrain and its various perils so that *you* can
        > climb the mountain in relative safety. A coach is a very similar thing.
        >
        > Also similarly, the ultimate success or failure of the expedition is not the
        > sole responsibility of the sherpa, but most experienced climbers recognize
        > that it is irresponsible to proceed without his assistance.
        > On May 3, 2011 5:30 AM, "strazhce" <infobox.oleg@...> wrote:

        So if I start using Scrum/Agile/whatever without coach, I undertake a risk of doing it wrong. If I hire a coach/mentor, I pay for avoiding most common mistakes other people made and speeding up my change, for opening my eyes to see things I wouldn't come across otherwise. It seems similar to taking or not taking personal/career coach.

        Ok, I've thought about some implications (http://www.agileskillsproject.com/collected-knowledge/ideas-to-refine/hiring-agile-coach). My main concern is trusting the coach, but it is a different topic.

        Thanks Adam.

        Oleg