Experience requirements for Scrum (team)(was: Re: Scrum Guide interpretation)

  • strazhce
    Message 1 of 87 , May 3, 2011
      Hello, Adam.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > I don't disagree with George at all, but the one thing I was saying that
      > subsequent responses don't seem to reflect is that it is more about how you
      > adapt than when. I am not sure that it is every too early to improve, but I
      > think it might be dangerous to do it without expert guidance (particularly
      > at scale.) I'm not even convinced that it is a good idea to adopt Scrum "by
      > the book" without appropriate coaching.

      I understand from your post, that you very strongly emphasize importance of the coach. Coach is responsible for putting methodology together for the needs of the team/organization (or probably let the team/organization come up with the process themselves, because the first approach would be more of mentoring/consulting). And he is responsible for the experience (in showman sense) the organization has when adapting agile. If organization refuses to understand something, he should let them feel implications of their decisions.

      Did I get it correctly? Isn't it too big responsibility and too many hopes invested in the coach?

      Thanks.
      Oleg
    • strazhce
      Message 87 of 87 , May 4, 2011
        Hi, Adam,

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        > In my opinion it is not the responsibility of the coach to do these things
        > per se. Rather, an experienced coach can help guide an organization to do
        > these things successfully based on his experience.
        >
        > You don't hire sherpas to climb the mountain for you. You hire them for
        > their knowledge of the terrain and its various perils so that *you* can
        > climb the mountain in relative safety. A coach is a very similar thing.
        >
        > Also similarly, the ultimate success or failure of the expedition is not the
        > sole responsibility of the sherpa, but most experienced climbers recognize
        > that it is irresponsible to proceed without his assistance.
        > On May 3, 2011 5:30 AM, "strazhce" <infobox.oleg@...> wrote:

        So if I start using Scrum/Agile/whatever without coach, I undertake a risk of doing it wrong. If I hire a coach/mentor, I pay for avoiding most common mistakes other people made and speeding up my change, for opening my eyes to see things I wouldn't come across otherwise. It seems similar to taking or not taking personal/career coach.

        Ok, I've thought about some implications (http://www.agileskillsproject.com/collected-knowledge/ideas-to-refine/hiring-agile-coach). My main concern is trusting the coach, but it is a different topic.

        Thanks Adam.

        Oleg