Who should be included in the Scrum Team

  • sisraj1
    Message 1 of 36 , May 2, 2011
      Hello All, I would like to get the groups opinion on something: I am part of a software development group that recently started using the Scrum framework. After our first few Sprints the Scrum teams indicated that they felt detached or uninvolved with their 'command and control' managers. They felt that their managers had no idea what they were doing and also, felt that they could not use their managers as a resource any longer. It was reiterated to the teams that they could use/contact whomever necessary in order to accomplish the teams work. However, the teams still seemed reluctant to use their managers as a resource. This could be due to the fact the teams know that managers do not have a role in the Scrum framework and they did not want to do anything that went against Scrum.

      One of the ideas that the 'upper' management (the people who control what personnel are on the Scrum Teams) has to try to assist with this situation was to include the 'command and control' managers in the Scrum Teams. This way there would not be any issues with contacting managers for help because they would just be another member of the team. The managers themselves would probably not get assigned any work for a Sprint. They would just be part of the team so that the teams could more easily and freely utilize the managers.

      My question to the group is would it be a 'ScrumBut'to have the 'command and control' managers be part of the Scrum Team?

      My understanding is that the Scrum Team should be made up of individuals that have the skill set necessary to complete the Sprint Backlog Items and deliver a potentially shippable product. I just don't know if a 'command and control' manager fits in with this definition of a Scrum Team member.

      I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.
    • And Gon
      Message 36 of 36 , May 16, 2011
        Hi,

        I think that the traditional project management responsabilities are shared among more people in Scrum than just a person. The traditional project managers should adapt to the new environment and see where they fit better.

        Andoni
        www.iatriple.net