Re: [scrumdevelopment] Experience requirements for Scrum (team)(was: Re: Scrum Guide interpretation)

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 87 , May 2, 2011
      Adam

      On 5/2/11 1:50 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:

      > I don't disagree with George at all, but the one thing I was saying that
      > subsequent responses don't seem to reflect is that it is more about how
      > you adapt than when. I am not sure that it is every too early to
      > improve, but I think it might be dangerous to do it without expert
      > guidance (particularly at scale.) I'm not even convinced that it is a
      > good idea to adopt Scrum "by the book" without appropriate coaching.

      Yes, the book is often misunderstood. And it's not timing that allows
      you to make choices, but fairly deep understanding.

      - George

    • strazhce
      Message 87 of 87 , May 4, 2011
        Hi, Adam,

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        > In my opinion it is not the responsibility of the coach to do these things
        > per se. Rather, an experienced coach can help guide an organization to do
        > these things successfully based on his experience.
        >
        > You don't hire sherpas to climb the mountain for you. You hire them for
        > their knowledge of the terrain and its various perils so that *you* can
        > climb the mountain in relative safety. A coach is a very similar thing.
        >
        > Also similarly, the ultimate success or failure of the expedition is not the
        > sole responsibility of the sherpa, but most experienced climbers recognize
        > that it is irresponsible to proceed without his assistance.
        > On May 3, 2011 5:30 AM, "strazhce" <infobox.oleg@...> wrote:

        So if I start using Scrum/Agile/whatever without coach, I undertake a risk of doing it wrong. If I hire a coach/mentor, I pay for avoiding most common mistakes other people made and speeding up my change, for opening my eyes to see things I wouldn't come across otherwise. It seems similar to taking or not taking personal/career coach.

        Ok, I've thought about some implications (http://www.agileskillsproject.com/collected-knowledge/ideas-to-refine/hiring-agile-coach). My main concern is trusting the coach, but it is a different topic.

        Thanks Adam.

        Oleg