Reading real books

  • strazhce
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 2:21 PM
      Hi, Ron,

      > Hello, Charles. On Tuesday, April 26, 2011, at 8:04:15 PM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Ron, the Scrum Guide might be "Baby's First Bible" to you, but, IMO, to the
      > > other 99.9% of the people in the field, it's not.
      >
      > These people need to at least consider reading some real books, and
      > taking some classes. The Scrum Guide is not enough to set people on
      > the right path, much less allow them to excel.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries

      What are "real books"?

      I'm aware of these kinds of books, which would make sense to read:
      - agile books (from XP series to books like Agile Coaching)
      - software development classics, which go beyond any specific methodology (like Wiegers' Software Requirements)
      - non-agile process books (like The Unified Software Development Process from Jacobson)
      - more technology related books (like JUnit Recipes, TDD by Example, Growing OO Software Guided by tests)
      - softskills books (e.g. coaching, facilitation)

      Thanks.
      Oleg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 5:45 PM
        Hello, strazhce. On Sunday, May 1, 2011, at 5:21:38 PM, you wrote:

        > What are "real books"?

        I was thinking books like Schwaber's, more than 20 pages of brief
        description ...

        The ones you list here are good but not Scrum.

        > I'm aware of these kinds of books, which would make sense to read:
        > - agile books (from XP series to books like Agile Coaching)
        > - software development classics, which go beyond any specific
        > methodology (like Wiegers' Software Requirements)
        > - non-agile process books (like The Unified Software Development Process from Jacobson)
        > - more technology related books (like JUnit Recipes, TDD by
        > Example, Growing OO Software Guided by tests)
        > - softskills books (e.g. coaching, facilitation)

        Yin and Yang I figure.
        -- Tom Jeffries
      • Adam Sroka
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 8:11 PM
          There are a number of good books that are principally about Scrum. Here are some recent ones that I liked:

          /Succeeding with Agile/ by Mike Cohn
          /Agile Product Management with Scrum/ by Roman Pichler
          /Agile Game Development with Scrum/ by Clinton Keith