Re: A Practical Question

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2004
      Boris wrote:

      >But you answer makes me wonder again. Where is the customer? That
      >you could sit with your team to get this project running I have no
      >doubt. But is this your role?
      >
      >Dave I do not want to agrue for the sake of arguing - my concern is
      >that I got the feeling from you explainations that the business is not
      >really engaged. It sounds as that they demand something from you
      >without doing their own part.

      That's a darned good question. Where IS the customer, and is he fully
      engaged?

      This project has two business units involved. One is a product department,
      and the other is the finance department. The driver is the product
      department, but the nature of the project is such that the bulk of the
      responsibility for day to day operation falls on the finance department.
      The project can be described in about 10 minutes, and the bulk of the work
      will be building controls to make sure that the data communication works
      properly, and that the finance people can track the beans properly and
      reconcile the numbers in a timely manner. One of the outside business
      partners is concerned that the system is secure and fiddle-proof at our
      end. The other outside business partner just wants it to happen.

      The bottom line is that any experienced software developer could tell the
      various customers what they should want on this particular project. Is the
      Finance Department fully engaged? Nah. Does that matter? Not really.
      Our relationship with the finance department is such that they trust us not
      build a system which won't give them the controls they need, and at this
      point in time they don't have enough of a feel for how it will work to
      start giving input into what controls they want. Also, the Controller's
      office is right next door to mine and enough informal conversations will
      take place over the next month to keep things on track.

      All of this puts the IT department in the middle of the situation. Is that
      bad? Not really, its part of our perceived value to the company; that we
      can step out of the pure "developer" box and be involved in the business
      decisions behind the requirements for the software when we have to.

      As to my role? My role is make it happen. Period.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company
    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2004
        It sounds like you are going to be both the 'project guy' and the 'product owner guy'.  It also sounds like their has been a lot of trust build up between you and the folks that write the checks for this project.

        One of the truly great things about the methodology is that at no time is the check writer out of touch with what is going on.  If you feel that the informal conversation level is going to keep them in control and you out of the middle - go for it.  If not then keep in mind how many OH NO's it takes to trash a thousand attaboys.

        --
        Mike Dwyer

        "I Keep six faithful serving-men
        Who serve me well and true:
        Their names are What and Where and When
        And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

        > Boris wrote:
        >
        > >But you answer makes me wonder again. Where is the customer? That
        > >you could sit with your team to get this project running I have no
        > >doubt. But is this your role?
        > >
        > >Dave I do not want to agrue for the sake of arguing - my concern is
        > >that I got the feeling from you explainations that the business is not
        > >really engaged. It sounds as that they demand something from you
        > >without doing their own part.
        >
        > That's a darned good question. Where IS the customer, and is he fully
        > engaged?
        >
        > This project has two business units involved. One is a product department,
        > and the other is the finance department. The driver is the product
        > department, but the nature of the project is such that the bulk of the
        > responsibility for day to day operation falls on the finance department.
        > The project can be described in about 10 minutes, and the bulk of the work
        > will be building controls to make sure that the data communication works
        > properly, and that the finance people can track the beans properly and
        > reconcile the numbers in a timely manner. One of the outside business
        > partners is concerned that the system is secure and fiddle-proof at our
        > end. The other outside business partner just wants it to happen.
        >
        > The bottom line is that any experienced software developer could tell the
        > various customers what they should want on this particular project. Is the
        > Finance Department fully engaged? Nah. Does that matter? Not really.
        > Our relationship with the finance department is such that they trust us not
        > build a system which won't give them the controls they need, and at this
        > point in time they don't have enough of a feel for how it will work to
        > start giving input into what controls they want. Also, the Controller's
        > office is right next door to mine and enough informal conversations will
        > take place over the next month to keep things on track.
        >
        > All of this puts the IT department in the middle of the situation. Is that
        > bad? Not really, its part of our perceived value to the company; that we
        > can step out of the pure "developer" box and be involved in the business
        > decisions behind the requirements for the software when we have to.
        >
        > As to my role? My role is make it happen. Period.
        >
        > Dave Barrett,
        > Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company

        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David A Barrett
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
          >It sounds like you are going to be both the 'project guy' and the 'product
          owner guy'.

          Hmmmm. More like the "product custodian guy". Once the Finance people
          get their hands on it, and can understand it, they'll start to assume an
          ownership role.