Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: extremely small teams

  • Andrew Pham
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2011
      I have worked with very small and rather large size teams with both Agile and Scrum and they both were doing fine...

      It scares me every time I hear terms such as "chief programmer" or "chief engineer" applied to an "Agile" or "Lean" team. The reason is because "chief" very often implies that this "chief engineer" or "chief programmer" would/should have some kind of authority or command as any chief should have over people he/she leads...And soon everything went "command and control" and no team member had any more courage to speak up or to suggest how to get the team to be self-organized...And I saw it happen in front of my eyes...Sorry...

      Andrew Pham
      Agile and Lean Coach, Author of Scrum in Action
      http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1-1

      On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stephen Palmer <stephen.palmer@...> wrote:

      fwiw: In comparison to Scrums recommended team size of 7 plus or minus 2, feature teams in FDD are typically smaller and FDD is designed to run with multiple teams of that size scaling to overall project teams that are much bigger than 9. In addition, feature teams in FDD are led by dev lead (chief programmer)  who also performs the typical scrum master duties.

      Stephen R. Palmer
      Certified Scrum Practitioner 2009, FDD Associate, Coad-Certified Mentor
      Author of 'A Practical Guide to Feature-Driven Development'

      On 21 Apr 2011, at 14:17, sakendrick wrote:

      FWIW - A colleague working at another firm has had great success with several Scrum teams comprised of 4 people - PO, Tester, 2 Developers. This seemed small to me until I tried splitting our team. We had 6 devs, 4 QA (we're working on our automation backlog), PO, UI designer, scrum master, managers. Meetings were taking too long, and some of the conversation was completely irrelevant to some team members -despite not having 10 developers there were obvious inefficiencies. We have one product but their are clear divisions in the components (backend vs frontend and even different areas of front end).
      5
      So we first split the team into two - the smallest team was 2 devs, tester, a PO and a dev lead/scrum master. This team was very efficient, meetings were on point and quick. The other team was still kind of bulky, so for our next project we're splitting again as there distinct themes, distinct areas of the product that require parallel work, and dedicated product owners for each portion.

      We're sure to run into other challenges but giving this a shot. Whether this is appropriate or not probably completely depends on your resources, the type of product you're building, and the themes you are executing on.