Re: [scrumdevelopment] Diferent betwen scrum n Kanban ..

  • Andrew Pham
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2011
      Stephen,

      Why do you think that FDD would be a better fit for large scale IT systems than Scrum and/or Kanban?

      I had used both Scrum and Kanban with large scale IT project teams, even when I was still Vice President of Software Development, and everything was fine.

      Kind regards,

      Andrew Pham
      Agile and Lean Coach, Author of Scrum in Action
      http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

      On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Stephen Palmer <stephen.palmer@...> wrote:

      If it is larger scale, corporate I.T. systems you are interested in, then Feature-Driven Development (FDD) may be a better fit than either Scrum or Kanban especially in the light of Mary P's recent talk http://vimeo.com/20984889

      Stephen R. Palmer
      Certified Scrum Practitioner 2009, FDD Associate, Coad-Certified Mentor
      Author of 'A Practical Guide to Feature-Driven Development'

      On 18 Apr 2011, at 13:06, Rowan Bunning wrote:

      Although I think it is fairly obvious from the tone of Alan's blog post, there is a certain bias evident in that blog post (and in a lot of his other work in the last few years).

      For a somewhat more objective comparison, I would recommend Henrick Knibergs's paper:

      Just one perspective I would offer on this is: if the organisation has a serious mandate and urgency to become more agile (e.g. competitive pressure) then you may find Kanban a rather tepid response to this. Without having an agile capability first, it can be a much slower path which may or may not get you to the same place and which, in the first instance, may look like doing lots of little waterfall efforts. In my experience, Kanban tends to be a better fit for rapid-response support and maintenance work than for large scale project initiatives, new feature development or complex R&D that require significant forward planning and close interaction with the business/customer. Whichever you way go, make sure you're taking the time to retrospect on a regular cadence. Also, I think that a good Scrum team limits work in progress - by heuristic if not be an explicit WIP limit.

      Rowan.

      On 17/04/2011, at 11:59 PM, Kurt Häusler wrote:

      They are not so directly comparable, as Kanban is more of a change management tool with project management aspects, and Scrum is a planning and scheduling tool with aspects of organizational change, and one can for example, use both at once. In reality their application does overlap quite a bit.

      The main difference is Scrum requires radical changes in the management system at the beginning, whereas Kanban can start wherever an organization is and evolves slowly from there.

      Alan Shalloway wrote a good blog post detailing further  differences.: http://www.netobjectives.com/blogs/real-difference-between-kanban-scrum

      On Apr 16, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Pria Dighfora wrote:

      Excuse me, ..
      I want to ask ..
      what is diferent between scrum n kanban ?
      Thanks before ..
      :)