Scrum and Business Analysts

  • Arvind Sathyamoorthy
    Message 1 of 94 , Nov 2, 2004
      I work for an organization where we are starting to impletement
      scrum. We had a few of our developers go in for Scrum training and
      they came back with some very useful information.

      Being a business analyst, I have been huting around the web and in
      bookstores as to how a business analyst team would fit into an IT
      organization practicing scrum.

      We have an IT organization that consists of teams of Business
      Analysts, Developers, QA folks, Project Managers and Business users.

      I understand that scrum reccomends that the same person wear
      multiple hats, but that is really not possible here.

      In the past I have worked through an organization where we
      implemented XP successfully and integrated BA and QA by putting BA 1
      iteration ahead of dev and QA one iteration behind Dev. But within
      scrum everyone stays in the same sprint. The BA, Dev and QA folks.
      So how could all three groups work within the same PB simultaneously
      without someone having a good amount of downtime. Since you really
      cannot develop before analysis and design is complete, and since you
      cannot QA before dev is complete.
      Message 94 of 94 , Nov 12, 2004
        For the record: I am not acknowledging plariarism in XP's Planning Game
        (nor am I asserting it in XBreed). I think the entire topic of plagiarism
        is bogus, divisive, unproductive and wrong.

        My sole mission in entering the Scrum != XP topic was to point out that
        there is but one elephant here. It is not productive to choose practices
        based on whether or not they are part of Scrum or XP or Crystal.

        As for plagiarism,

        "Not only does I deny the allegation, I denies the alligator".

        You can observe a lot by watching. --Yogi Berra

        On Friday, November 12, 2004, at 1:12:37 AM, Mike Beedle wrote:

        > Thank you for your honesty and fairness in the acknowledgement of plagiarism
        > from the XP community -

        > this means a lot to us scrummers, since both, honesty and fairness are part
        > of our core values.

        > Honesty and fairness make the fertile ground that will allow us to get
        > *unity* in the growing

        > Agile Community of the future.

        > Also, your ability to see from someone else's perspective; and your ability
        > to understand "deep issues"

        > without bailing out on bogus arguments is what convinced me of your
        > leadership abilities.

        > I only now get to really know and understand who you are - thank you, you
        > have opened my eyes

        > to a new level of "understanding",

        End quotation from Mike Beedle, on Friday, November 12, 2004, at 1:12:37 AM