Re: [scrumdevelopment] got metrics to prove it?

  • Boris Gloger
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
      On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 08:07:04 -0000, dancapper69 <dancapper69@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone help me answer these questions?
      >
      > - which metrics are useful in demonstrating that Scrum made a
      > difference?

      use the matrix you have in the company currently - if you use SLOC or
      whatever than your company "awareness system" will only rely on those
      numbers.

      > - Is it possible to demonstrate Scrum made the difference, i.e.
      > demonstrate success was not simply due to a change from the norm?

      sure - use it and get the matrix your company wants to see based on
      what you are doing.

      > - whilst data-driven corporations will supply their own metric
      > analysis of defect reduction, cycle time, etc. has anyone
      > measured 'softer' improvements?

      not as far as I know - I know nobody who did an qualitative interview
      on those projects.

      For instance, Agile makes great
      > play of user involvement, team cohesion & learning, the kind of
      > thing that corporations don't take much notice of (until staff leave
      > and knowledge goes with them). Have these been successfully
      > measured? How? I'm thinking of surveys and interviews but that's a
      > difficult area to validate.

      in general - do it, don't talk about - use Scrum, get it implemented,
      drive your team, proof at the end of the sprint that you delivered
      what you promised - that is all you will need. This will demonstrate
      everything you need.

      boris
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        dancapper69 wrote:

        > I'm working on a project wherein we'll change the
        > existing V model
        > to Agile. However we can't discard every existing
        > process; Scrum
        > seems suitable as a wrapper for those process
        > elements which make
        > sense to the team.

        If you incrementally adopt, and if you get a practice
        (such as RefactorMercilessly) out of balance with its
        matching practices (such as TDD), you will invite
        trouble.

        To adopt, either hire a coach, or adopt two practices
        - Test-Driven Development, and Frequent Releases
        (Scrum).

        > I expect to see differences, changes, improvements,
        > even fear (some
        > of the developers are getting Luddite about pair
        > programming and we
        > haven't even started).

        PP without TDD is rough. TDD has the pleasant rhythm
        of participatory game. Without TDD, programmers spend
        lots of time hunting bugs, and pairing either helps or
        is agonizingly boring.

        > So there'll be changes...but how do you prove that
        > Agile really made
        > the difference? For data-driven corporations to
        > realise what's
        > going on and apply it more widely they have to be
        > shown valid
        > metrics. For the last ten years I've been hearing,
        > "If you can't
        > measure it, you can't manage it..."

        What metrics have you all collected, in the past, for
        your existing systems?

        > Can anyone help me answer these questions?
        >
        > - which metrics are useful in demonstrating that
        > Scrum made a
        > difference?

        Read /Agile & Iterative Development: A Manager's
        Guide/ by Craig Larman. It reveals the history of
        Waterfall, and all the surveys and evidence that show
        its problems.

        It would be nice if Waterfall were a strawman argument
        that only Agilistas speak of. Waterfall re-arises
        every time a project goes sour, and a manager says,
        "Okay, we have to spend more time planning for the
        next one."

        To not have Waterfall, in whatever disguise, sort
        features by business priority, implement the highest
        ones first, and deliver to live users as soon as
        possible.

        > - Is it possible to demonstrate Scrum made the
        > difference, i.e.
        > demonstrate success was not simply due to a change
        > from the norm?

        Many teams report better productivity. Larman's book
        points out that in an industry where so many projects
        fail, simply reducing the failure rate

        Now instead of covering yourselves with metrics, can
        your organization honestly assess whether and how any
        of your projects have failed?

        If you have no samples to draw from, maybe you are
        doing the right thing and shouldn't change!

        > - whilst data-driven corporations will supply their
        > own metric
        > analysis of defect reduction, cycle time, etc. has
        > anyone
        > measured 'softer' improvements?

        Some teams find such satisfaction doing Agile
        development that they don't bother to measure. ;-)

        > For instance, Agile
        > makes great
        > play of user involvement, team cohesion & learning,
        > the kind of
        > thing that corporations don't take much notice of
        > (until staff leave
        > and knowledge goes with them). Have these been
        > successfully
        > measured? How? I'm thinking of surveys and
        > interviews but that's a
        > difficult area to validate.

        Tom DeMarco, in his book /Slack/, has a great tale
        where a client shows him a pie chart of their
        expenditures, and he asks "where's turnover?" He
        observed that the cost of retraining people after
        others leave had been buried in the numbers, instead
        of revealed as a metric.

        =====
        Phlip

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.