got metrics to prove it?

  • dancapper69
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
      I'm working on a project wherein we'll change the existing V model
      to Agile. However we can't discard every existing process; Scrum
      seems suitable as a wrapper for those process elements which make
      sense to the team.
      I expect to see differences, changes, improvements, even fear (some
      of the developers are getting Luddite about pair programming and we
      haven't even started).
      So there'll be changes...but how do you prove that Agile really made
      the difference? For data-driven corporations to realise what's
      going on and apply it more widely they have to be shown valid
      metrics. For the last ten years I've been hearing, "If you can't
      measure it, you can't manage it..."

      Can anyone help me answer these questions?

      - which metrics are useful in demonstrating that Scrum made a
      difference?

      - Is it possible to demonstrate Scrum made the difference, i.e.
      demonstrate success was not simply due to a change from the norm?

      - whilst data-driven corporations will supply their own metric
      analysis of defect reduction, cycle time, etc. has anyone
      measured 'softer' improvements? For instance, Agile makes great
      play of user involvement, team cohesion & learning, the kind of
      thing that corporations don't take much notice of (until staff leave
      and knowledge goes with them). Have these been successfully
      measured? How? I'm thinking of surveys and interviews but that's a
      difficult area to validate.

      I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this, or examples of
      what's been used successfully before.

      Regards,
      Dan
    • Boris Gloger
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 08:07:04 -0000, dancapper69 <dancapper69@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me answer these questions?
        >
        > - which metrics are useful in demonstrating that Scrum made a
        > difference?

        use the matrix you have in the company currently - if you use SLOC or
        whatever than your company "awareness system" will only rely on those
        numbers.

        > - Is it possible to demonstrate Scrum made the difference, i.e.
        > demonstrate success was not simply due to a change from the norm?

        sure - use it and get the matrix your company wants to see based on
        what you are doing.

        > - whilst data-driven corporations will supply their own metric
        > analysis of defect reduction, cycle time, etc. has anyone
        > measured 'softer' improvements?

        not as far as I know - I know nobody who did an qualitative interview
        on those projects.

        For instance, Agile makes great
        > play of user involvement, team cohesion & learning, the kind of
        > thing that corporations don't take much notice of (until staff leave
        > and knowledge goes with them). Have these been successfully
        > measured? How? I'm thinking of surveys and interviews but that's a
        > difficult area to validate.

        in general - do it, don't talk about - use Scrum, get it implemented,
        drive your team, proof at the end of the sprint that you delivered
        what you promised - that is all you will need. This will demonstrate
        everything you need.

        boris
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
          dancapper69 wrote:

          > I'm working on a project wherein we'll change the
          > existing V model
          > to Agile. However we can't discard every existing
          > process; Scrum
          > seems suitable as a wrapper for those process
          > elements which make
          > sense to the team.

          If you incrementally adopt, and if you get a practice
          (such as RefactorMercilessly) out of balance with its
          matching practices (such as TDD), you will invite
          trouble.

          To adopt, either hire a coach, or adopt two practices
          - Test-Driven Development, and Frequent Releases
          (Scrum).

          > I expect to see differences, changes, improvements,
          > even fear (some
          > of the developers are getting Luddite about pair
          > programming and we
          > haven't even started).

          PP without TDD is rough. TDD has the pleasant rhythm
          of participatory game. Without TDD, programmers spend
          lots of time hunting bugs, and pairing either helps or
          is agonizingly boring.

          > So there'll be changes...but how do you prove that
          > Agile really made
          > the difference? For data-driven corporations to
          > realise what's
          > going on and apply it more widely they have to be
          > shown valid
          > metrics. For the last ten years I've been hearing,
          > "If you can't
          > measure it, you can't manage it..."

          What metrics have you all collected, in the past, for
          your existing systems?

          > Can anyone help me answer these questions?
          >
          > - which metrics are useful in demonstrating that
          > Scrum made a
          > difference?

          Read /Agile & Iterative Development: A Manager's
          Guide/ by Craig Larman. It reveals the history of
          Waterfall, and all the surveys and evidence that show
          its problems.

          It would be nice if Waterfall were a strawman argument
          that only Agilistas speak of. Waterfall re-arises
          every time a project goes sour, and a manager says,
          "Okay, we have to spend more time planning for the
          next one."

          To not have Waterfall, in whatever disguise, sort
          features by business priority, implement the highest
          ones first, and deliver to live users as soon as
          possible.

          > - Is it possible to demonstrate Scrum made the
          > difference, i.e.
          > demonstrate success was not simply due to a change
          > from the norm?

          Many teams report better productivity. Larman's book
          points out that in an industry where so many projects
          fail, simply reducing the failure rate

          Now instead of covering yourselves with metrics, can
          your organization honestly assess whether and how any
          of your projects have failed?

          If you have no samples to draw from, maybe you are
          doing the right thing and shouldn't change!

          > - whilst data-driven corporations will supply their
          > own metric
          > analysis of defect reduction, cycle time, etc. has
          > anyone
          > measured 'softer' improvements?

          Some teams find such satisfaction doing Agile
          development that they don't bother to measure. ;-)

          > For instance, Agile
          > makes great
          > play of user involvement, team cohesion & learning,
          > the kind of
          > thing that corporations don't take much notice of
          > (until staff leave
          > and knowledge goes with them). Have these been
          > successfully
          > measured? How? I'm thinking of surveys and
          > interviews but that's a
          > difficult area to validate.

          Tom DeMarco, in his book /Slack/, has a great tale
          where a client shows him a pie chart of their
          expenditures, and he asks "where's turnover?" He
          observed that the cost of retraining people after
          others leave had been buried in the numbers, instead
          of revealed as a metric.

          =====
          Phlip

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.