Re: [scrumdevelopment] Frequent Releases

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
      On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 07:07:01AM -0400, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > Reasons Given for Infrequent Deployment
      >
      > In my experience, and there's been a lot of it, the most common stated
      > reason for deploying infrequently is "the customers don't want it." In my
      > experience, the /real/ reason for deploying infrequently is that when we
      > deployed last time, we nuked the customers with so many defects that they
      > and we are scared to do it again.

      I think we might subdivide that into
      (1) fear of our stuff (the software/product)
      and also
      (2) fear of themselves (their own organizational dysfunctions regarding
      any stuff they are responsible for doing on their side (e.g, training, communication, coordination) before the deploy the upgrade within their organization)

      Also ... everywhere you wrote "fear" or "scared" in your
      post, I wonder if I replace the word with "distrust" if
      it is still a valid statement. If so, it makes me think
      of the "Customer collaboration over contract negotiation"
      part of the agile manifesto ...

      So maybe it should be less about "negotiating" more frequent
      releases with the customer, but should instead be more about
      collaborating with them?