Re: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams

  • ashish_euphoric@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24 7:49 AM
      What will be your responsibilities ?will you also be a part of development or test activities ?

      Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

      From: "Michael Tibbert" <michael.tibbert@...>
      Sender: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:45:04 -0000
      To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams

      I am contemplating on becoming ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams.

      Each team will have a 2 week sprint, sprints begin all in the same week (e.g. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....).

      I am curious if anyone has been ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams and what problems have they encountered?

      Thanks in advance for all advice.

    • Alan Dayley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24 10:24 AM

        There is a high risk that you will become only a meeting facilitator and statistics clerk.

        Alan

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 11:12 AM

          Here is what my experiences tell me:

          If someone is a fairly knowledgeable, experienced ScrumMaster (say 1yr or more), I think that they could probably ScrumMaster up to 2 teams and have good results.  Any more than that will most likely not work well.

          I guess an exception could be made for up to 3 teams, if all of the teams are really small (the low end of the 5-9 devs per team) and very Scrum knowledgeable.

          A knowledgeable friend of mine said that how many teams you can be a good ScrumMaster for depends quite a bit on the Scrum Maturity of each team.  The more Scrum mature and self organizing they are, the more teams one strong SM can probably handle.  Same friend found that 4 was the max she could do regardless.

          I coach most teams to be self organizing even when it comes to removing obstacles(i.e. if the obstacles are relatively small and not too time consuming, I coach the dev team to self organize to resolve.  If they are bigger than that, then I coach the SM's to resolve the obstacle while the dev team continues working.), so I think that helps reduce the SM workload some(allowing the SM to handle more teams).

          OTOH, by definition, the farther you spread yourself thin, the less quality you are able to put into SM'ing each team.  So, I go back to my first 2 sentences above.

           -------
          Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
          Experienced Scrum Coach

          I am contemplating on becoming ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams.

          Each team will have a 2 week sprint, sprints begin all in the same week (e.g. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....).

          I am curious if anyone has been ScrumMaster for more than 2 teams and what problems have they encountered?

          Thanks in advance for all advice.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to: