Re: Differences between Scrum Alliance and Scrum.org trained ScrumMasters?

  • jsutherland
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 10:40 AM
      Scrum was defined by me and Ken based on my 1993 Scrum implementation at Easel Corporation. The first produce owner owned the product vision and the ROI. He was assisted by stakeholders, particularly me as the Chief Engineer for the company. I hired the Product Owner and supervised him. In the venture community our investors are starting to say the CEO needs to be the Chief Product Owner or the product sucks. They like the Steve Jobs model.

      There are many random debates among new Scrum trainers and sometimes confusion that is surprising to me. Since I put Scrum in the public domain in 1995 with Ken's agreement, other people may produce derivative works. However, they should cite the definitive source which is the Scrum Guide.

      There is also a Scrum Handbook ready for publication that I give to all those working with Scrum, Inc. classes or consulting engagements. This has been reviewed and edited by Ken to make sure we are consistent with the Scrum guide. Also, some of the leading trainers in the world are giving me feedback to fine tune it before publishing to be clear on these issues. Anyone who wants a pre-publication copy should sent a note to info@.... You are welcome to recommend edits before publication.

      Jeff Sutherland
      Scrum, Inc.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 19, 2011, at 2:10 AM, Peter Stevens (cal) wrote:
      >
      > > Has anyone noticed differences in style, approach or substance
      > > between Scrum Alliance and Scrum.org trained ScrumMasters?" Or are differences more related to the
      > > approach of individual trainers?
      >
      > I'm currently listening to two ScrumAlliance trainers argue whether the Product Owner is responsible for vision and ROI, or is more of a line manager in a chain of command. So my guess is there's a greater difference in message between trainers than between ScrumAlliance and Scrum.org. This is just conjecture, since I don't know the Scrum.org trainers other than Ken himself. I did have one of my CSM participants pay for the Scrum.org PSM test by mistake, and pass it. This tends to confirm my subjective belief/hope that I'm still carrying Ken's flag while being affiliated with the ScrumAlliance.
      >
      > --mj
      > http://ScrumReferenceCard.com

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 11:13 AM

        Interesting. I look forward to seeing the handbook.

        BTW, "produce owner" is my favorite typo of the week ;-)