FW: FW: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Organizational Patterns of Agile Software Development

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2004

      Hubert writes:

      > You mean you didn't replace it?

      Hubert:

      Nope.

      > Are you also living by the motto 'Real Men Don't Backup'?

      I admit it -- I wasn’t doing it often enough (about once a month).

      But not any more – I backup almost every day now but still feel comfortable with my masculinity :-)

      Hubert writes:
      > But in all seriousness, I've maintained hardware as a living, do get
      > rid of a disk that has failed to boot once. It is a disaster waiting
      > to happen.

      Well, maybe.  Let me explain.  I am a high-level executive by day but Lisp/Linux hacker by night.

      I wanted to run Knoppix (Linux out of a CD) out of my computer to do some experimental programming

      with CMU CL (Common Lisp) but I also wanted to read the NTFS file system with it.  However, I made

      the almost fatal assumption that one of Knoppix’s tools, qparted, could in fact look and resize an NTFS

      partition correctly to make room for an ext2 partition.

      After use of this tool, the drive became unbootable from Windows (a well known problem in the Knoppix

      world), so I simply 1) booted from a CD (ERD Commander), 2) extracted all my data to a USB hard drive,

      3) rebuilt my machine with XP, and re-loaded onto my hard drive the extracted data from the USB drive.

      (Some companies would have charged my a few thousands “recovery” fees for that, btw.)

      Now I run Knoppix out of a virtual drive using Virtual PC – this is a lot safer– and backup just about every

      day my personal files.  That way I don’t have to deal with the “dual boot” issue, or go downstairs to

      my basement where I have a Linux server, or SSH to a Linux machine elsewhere (at work),

      - Mike