REQUEST: Any good Scrum Excel templates?

  • Naeem Randhawa
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011

      Hello;

      I’m in the process of coming up with a definitive Excel Scrum spreadsheet I’d like to use on my projects going forth. I have some, and have also scoured the web – and have not really come up with anything that I really like.

      I’d like to ask if anyone has any “battle-tested” worksheets, they wouldn’t mind sharing with me? I’d love to see how practitioners are using it.

      Thanks in advance!

      Naeem Randhawa, CSM, PMP (in progress)

      IT Engagement Manager | KPMG, BearingPoint

      214-810-1231  |  naeem@...  |

      PM/ IT/ Social Commerce Blog:  www.SocialCurb.com

    • Danilo Correia Ruziska
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
        If you didn't like the ones you have, what you have in mind?

        Scrum itself doesn't come with a Spreadsheet that fits all teams. Each one has its own needs.

        I'd advise you to see these spreadsheets you have, get the parts you find interesting, and add your own columns (needs) on it.

        --
        Danilo Correia Ruziska
        Agile Learner

      • Dave Rooney
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
          Hi Naeem,

          What information would you need the spreadsheet to contain?  Is there a particular reason why you have to use an electronic format?  Would a wall with cards or sticky notes suffice?

          Dave Rooney
          Agile Coach & Co-founder
          Westboro Systems

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
            1- Yes, I have some, and have modified, just wanting to see what my peers are doing, and if anyone has a "glowing" recommendation - I'd love to see it.

            2- reason it's needed, we're a consulting group, going in to client site - team is somewhat distributed, we need to track on wall, AS WELL as electronically.

            hope that clarifies..

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
              Naeem,

              I'll be more direct here, so please forgive me.

              An excel spreadsheet to manage Scrum is probably the tool/technique of last resort.

              If you'll tell us about what need you're trying to fulfill, we can make several suggestions of how to fulfill that need, in probably a better way.

              -------
              Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
              Experienced Scrum Coach

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011

                Well I think that people manage things and spreadsheets don’t manage things, but spreadsheets can be useful tools for the people who do manage things.  That bit of English out of the way …

                We use a spreadsheet for tracking/calculating Sprint Burndown – work remaining and the team seems to find that very useful especially the trendline addition which helps the team see whether they are on a track to complete the PBIs assigned to the Sprint.  What is so very wrong with that?

                Regards,

                Tara

                What information would you need the spreadsheet to contain?  Is there a particular reason why you have to use an electronic format?  Would a wall with cards or sticky notes suffice?

                Dave Rooney

                Agile Coach & Co-founder

                Westboro Systems

                ,_._,___

              • Danilo Correia Ruziska
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                  I guess the spreadsheet can be one of the tools for the backlog. Most POs got used to Excel, so It may fit. For other scrum process, I agree that other techniques are more valuable (board, index cards).

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                    Naeem,

                    Are we talking a Sprint Backlog here?

                    -------
                    Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                    Experienced Scrum Coach

                    1- Yes, I have some, and have modified, just wanting to see what my peers are doing, and if anyone has a "glowing" recommendation - I'd love to see it.

                    2- reason it's needed, we're a consulting group, going in to client site - team is somewhat distributed, we need to track on wall, AS WELL as electronically.

                    hope that clarifies..

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney <dave.rooney@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Naeem,
                    >
                    > What information would you need the spreadsheet to contain?  Is there a particular reason why you have to use an electronic format?  Would a wall with cards or sticky notes suffice?
                    >
                    > Dave Rooney
                    > Agile Coach & Co-founder
                    > Westboro Systems
                    > http://www.westborosystems.com
                    >
                    > On 2011-02-24, at 11:31 AM, "Naeem Randhawa" <naeem@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hello;
                    > >

                    > > I’m in the process of coming up with a definitive Excel Scrum spreadsheet I’d like to use on my projects going forth. I have some, and have also scoured the web â€" and have not really come up with anything that I really like.
                    > >

                    > > I’d like to ask if anyone has any “battle-tested� worksheets, they wouldn’t mind sharing with me? I’d love to see how practitioners are using it.
                    > >

                    > > Thanks in advance!
                    > >

                    > > Naeem Randhawa, CSM, PMP (in progress)
                    > >
                    > > IT Engagement Manager | KPMG, BearingPoint
                    > >
                    > > 214-810-1231  |  naeem@...  |
                    > >
                    > > PM/ IT/ Social Commerce Blog:  www.SocialCurb.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Danilo Correia Ruziska
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                      Tara,

                      if the team is comfortable with that, It's fine.

                      But they are keeping track with the burndown daily? I mean, they have an easy access to it in the daily scrum or during the day (easy access is not an icon on the desktop)?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                        Charles;

                        Any assets (doesn't have to be only sprint tracker), again, just curious to see what others find useful...

                        thanks;
                        naeem

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                          I have found that a card wall is quite sufficient to visualize the state of the sprint at the team level.  I'm fine with Excel or similar for release burndown/burnup.  How long are your sprints?  Roughly how many PBI's are done per sprint?

                          There's no real 'wrong' answer here.  However, there's a cost for every approach, and you want to minimize that cost in your context.  I've seen SM's go crazy with spreadsheets that only they ever viewed.  Most of those SM's also complained about the amount of time they spent doing these administrative tasks. ;)

                          Dave Rooney
                          Agile Coach & Co-founder
                          Westboro Systems

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                            Charles;

                            To re-iterate, this is just a simple discovery exercise, to see what others are using for spreadsheets (those that do use them), I'm not arguing that reason for or not using them.

                            Just trying to get a feel for what other practitioners are up to, for peer review/ learning.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                              I would imagine that tracking "Any Scrum Assets" in a one size fits all solution like Excel is probably not optimum.  Not that you wouldn't be breaking any laws, but consider this, from the Scrum Guide, based on interactions with probably thousands of teams doing Scrum:

                              "Tip
                              Whenever possible, hand draw the burndown chart on a big sheet of paper displayed in the Team's work area. Teams are more likely to see a big, visible chart than they are to look at Sprint burndown chart in Excel or a tool."

                              If your team is distributed as you say, then probably an online tool might work better than Excel.  It depends on just how distributed your team is, but here are some solutions for distributed teams that might work better:

                              A paid all in one tool:  VersionOne, JIRA/GreenHopper
                              A more visible online tool: Wiki, Scrumy.com, and there are many others, some paid, some free out there
                              Low tech but still highly efficient:  Index Cards, Sticky Notes, photos/videoconferencing of "Scrum Boards" for distributed team members
                              Tools of last resort:  Sharepoint(though probably better than Excel), Excel, MS Word, Email

                              These are just examples, and there are probably a dozen more good examples for each category above.  I would not attempt to catch all Scrum artifacts in one tool unless it is specifically one of the commercial "all-in-one" tools.

                              The reason Excel is a tool of last resort IMO, is
                              * the ability of Excel to be an "information radiator" is very poor
                              * the ability of Excel to support the kind of cross team communication encouraged by Scrum is very poor
                              * the work required to maintain anything more than a very simple Excel spreadsheet is generally process waste

                               -------
                              Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                              Experienced Scrum Coach

                              Any assets (doesn't have to be only sprint tracker), again, just curious to see what others find useful...

                              thanks;
                              naeem

                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

                              > Naeem,
                              >
                              > Are we talking a Sprint Backlog here?
                              >
                              >  -------
                              > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                              > Experienced Scrum Coach
                              > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Tara Santmire
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011

                                We have it up on a big monitor during the scrum and the scrum master inputs team member changes as we go through the scrum.  People can access it during the day from their desktops as needed.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                                  That's nice Tara.

                                  Just one thing: some teams lose the burndown's sight, even if they see it in the daily scrum. If the team is not used to see the sprint status, they must have a visible way to see it, anytime.

                                  If this is not a problem going on your team, I appreciate this =)

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                                    That sounds pretty accessible, and using the big monitor is probably a decent way of converting excel into something that resembles an information radiator.

                                    Is the big monitor/burndown visible all day in the team area?

                                    How does one access this burndown from their desktop?

                                    How does a team member update their tasks during the day (outside of the scrum)?

                                    How do you manage multi-user access / concurrent modifications?

                                    Sorry to pester you with questions.  I'm just curious if someone has found a way to make Excel highly communicative.  (The big monitor is a nice enhancement)

                                    -------
                                    Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                    Experienced Scrum Coach

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                                      Fair enough, but as one of your peers, and as one who coaches your peers, I can tell you that one of the reasons you won't find many well regarded, standardized Excel templates is because so many of our peers have found much better approaches than using Excel.

                                      What might seem like harassment(my word, not yours), is really just many of us stating that, based on past experiences of us and others, Excel used in this way can lead to bigger obstacles, decreased visibility, and decreased productivity.  So much so that, Ken Schwaber himself thought it worthy of mention.  Granted, this may be the best low tech solution for you and your team, but I would encourage you to take an hour or so and look a little farther into other tools/practices.  Maybe your time spent researching better excel templates would be better spent researching better tools for your team.  Maybe not, I'm just asking you to think about it.

                                      Since your team is distributed, you might also be interested in this:
                                      http://www.goodagile.com/distributedscrumprimer/

                                      Sorry to appear "harassing/arguing".  :-)

                                       -------
                                      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                      Experienced Scrum Coach

                                      To re-iterate, this is just a simple discovery exercise, to see what others are using for spreadsheets (those that do use them), I'm not arguing that reason for or not using them.

                                      Just trying to get a feel for what other practitioners are up to, for peer review/ learning.

                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

                                      > Naeem,
                                      >
                                      > I'll be more direct here, so please forgive me.
                                      >
                                      > An excel spreadsheet to manage Scrum is probably the tool/technique of last
                                      > resort.
                                      >

                                      > If you'll tell us about what need you're trying to fulfill, we can make several
                                      > suggestions of how to fulfill that need, in probably a better way.
                                      >
                                      >  -------
                                      > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                      > Experienced Scrum Coach
                                      > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • woynam
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                                        Naaem,

                                        There's a sample Sprint Backlog spreadsheet (Sample Sprint Task List.xls) in the files section of this group. We used it successfully for years on dozens of projects, and hundreds of Sprints.

                                        Some of the data is calculated using cell formulas, and some of the functionality is implemented as macros accessed from the custom menu.

                                        Mark

                                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Naeem Randhawa" <naeem@...> wrote:

                                        > Charles;
                                        >
                                        > To re-iterate, this is just a simple discovery exercise, to see what others are using for spreadsheets (those that do use them), I'm not arguing that reason for or not using them.
                                        >
                                        > Just trying to get a feel for what other practitioners are up to, for peer review/ learning.
                                        >

                                        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Naeem,
                                        > >
                                        > > I'll be more direct here, so please forgive me.
                                        > >
                                        > > An excel spreadsheet to manage Scrum is probably the tool/technique of last
                                        > > resort.
                                        > >

                                        > > If you'll tell us about what need you're trying to fulfill, we can make several
                                        > > suggestions of how to fulfill that need, in probably a better way.
                                        > >
                                        > > -------
                                        > > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                        > > Experienced Scrum Coach
                                        > > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/
                                        > >

                                        > > ________________________________

                                      • kbs_kulbhushan
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 24, 2011
                                          Hello,

                                          We have done all the Scrum artefacts in ods/Excel so I have some
                                          answers:

                                          > How does a team member update their tasks during the day (outside of
                                          the
                                          > scrum)?
                                          >

                                          > How do you manage multi-user access / concurrent modifications?
                                          Version controlled xls/ods in SVN.

                                          Each Sprint gets its own "Sheet" in the document.

                                          Regards,

                                          CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

                                          > That sounds pretty accessible, and using the big monitor is probably a
                                          decent
                                          > way of converting excel into something that resembles an information
                                          radiator.

                                          > Is the big monitor/burndown visible all day in the team area?
                                          >
                                          > How does one access this burndown from their desktop?
                                          >
                                          > How does a team member update their tasks during the day (outside of
                                          the
                                          > scrum)?
                                          >

                                          > How do you manage multi-user access / concurrent modifications?
                                          >
                                          > Sorry to pester you with questions. I'm just curious if someone has
                                          found a way
                                          > to make Excel highly communicative. (The big monitor is a nice
                                          enhancement)

                                          > -------
                                          > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                          > Experienced Scrum Coach
                                          > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Naeem Randhawa
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 25, 2011
                                            @charles;
                                            I respect advice received from this forum, and do not feel "harassed" in any way, I see a legitimate effort on your (and others) behalf to highlight good advice - and it is taken!

                                            @woynam;
                                            Thanks for the tip, I had missed that, and perused it - some great stuff, and the spreadsheet posted is pretty good, compared to others I've seen.

                                            Thanks Y'all! ;)

                                            Naeem
                                            Austin, TX

                                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

                                            > Naaem,
                                            >
                                            > There's a sample Sprint Backlog spreadsheet (Sample Sprint Task List.xls) in the files section of this group. We used it successfully for years on dozens of projects, and hundreds of Sprints.
                                            >
                                            > Some of the data is calculated using cell formulas, and some of the functionality is implemented as macros accessed from the custom menu.
                                            >
                                            > Mark
                                            >

                                            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Naeem Randhawa" <naeem@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Charles;
                                            > >
                                            > > To re-iterate, this is just a simple discovery exercise, to see what others are using for spreadsheets (those that do use them), I'm not arguing that reason for or not using them.
                                            > >
                                            > > Just trying to get a feel for what other practitioners are up to, for peer review/ learning.
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Naeem,
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I'll be more direct here, so please forgive me.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > An excel spreadsheet to manage Scrum is probably the tool/technique of last
                                            > > > resort.
                                            > > >

                                            > > > If you'll tell us about what need you're trying to fulfill, we can make several
                                            > > > suggestions of how to fulfill that need, in probably a better way.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > -------
                                            > > > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                            > > > Experienced Scrum Coach
                                            > > > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/
                                            > > >

                                            > > > ________________________________

                                          • Tara Santmire
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 25, 2011

                                              The big monitor is visible all day but has different things on it at different times depending on what the team wants/needs.

                                              Burndown is accessed via SharePoint and Excel Services and is viewable in a browser window at all times.  All team members have two monitors and generally have the browser up with several tabs for the burndown, Sprint backlog, product backlog, and PBIs/user stories.

                                              Team members can update the excel spreadsheet or wikis any time they need to via the browser interface into SharePoint.

                                              Concurrent mods are not allowed (check out check in process is used to make sure people don’t overwrite each other’s changes).

                                              SharePoint 2010 has been extremely helpful for us and allows the team to be very flexible.  So, if a team member can’t make it into the office because of illness or child care issues or weather, they can be very productive at home because all of the information radiators are available electronically.   Also, if two or three team members go to a workroom so their discussions don’t interrupt the rest of the team, then they can bring up in workroom (monitor or projector) what information they need.  Also, the PO who has to travel can collaborate remotely when necessary.

                                              It seems to work very well for us.  The team likes it and they seem to have a very good handle on where we are during the sprint, next most critical task etc.

                                              Regards,

                                              Tara

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 25, 2011
                                                Thanks.

                                                There are actually a number of things in there that we experimented with, but ultimately stopped using. For example, member-level burndown graphs. That's a horrible idea for a number of reasons, but a few managers insisted that we put them in the graph. I never used them, so you can ignore them or simply remove them from the graph.

                                                Also, the spreadsheet is fairly brittle. It's not too difficult to break the formulas if you're not careful. That's why you'll see the 'Repair Formulas' function in the menu. Also, copying a feature/story is best accomplished using the menu item, rather than copying and pasting rows.

                                                Otherwise, it's fairly straightforward to use. Simply enter the start date for the Sprint at the top of the sheet, and enter initial estimates for your tasks in the first day column. The estimates are automatically carried forward each day unless they are updates. If they are updated, the new value carries forward.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 28, 2011
                                                  Tara,

                                                  I'm impressed with how visible you've made the excel artifacts and other info radiators.  SharePoint is a good addition for visibility as well.  Well done.  It's obvious to me that you value a highly collaborative environment.  I think I could be ok with your setup, it's just that, in my experience, 90% of the folks using Excel for Scrum have no such setup.  For the teams I come across, I coach them towards other solutions (like the ones I mentioned before in this thread, typically sticky notes and hand drawn burndowns) because I find it easier for them to adopt those solutions than set up the highly collaborative e-info-radiators that you have set up.

                                                  On a side not, I like Sharepoint's document repository features (esp for non techies), but I don't care for their wiki because it supports WYSIWYG only -- I like using wiki syntax and they don't allow that(at least not the version I was using).  OTOH, if the team commits to using a Sharepoint wiki, then more power to them, and I hope they collaborate like crazy!

                                                  -------
                                                  Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
                                                  Experienced Scrum Coach

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 2 3:00 AM
                                                    Hi Naeem,

                                                    I've created this (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtxqnZUvm_UjdHZiSkc0X0xqTzZ1ZWRtcmlXdjRrVnc&hl=en) sheet to collect sprint statistics and do release planning.

                                                    As others have mentioned, a spreadsheet is not a very good information radiator, and it makes sense to keep the amount of data tracked limited to that which you actually use. So this is only for keeping track of sprint statistics easily, and to do simple forecasting with a release burndown graph.

                                                    In this sheet, I only track the number of points planned and finished, and unplanned items coming in. The number of tasks is also in there, but according to my comment above, should probably be removed.

                                                    Release planning is very basic, simply projecting an end sprint based on average, pessimistic and optimistic numbers (calculated using a 95% confidence zone, which is also graphed). You have to keep track of how many points are left in the release backlog manually in the tab for release planning, and it could do with a little extra work to keep track of stories being added to the backlog. But it works for me:-)

                                                    hth,

                                                    Wouter