Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Pair programming - how to account for the hours spent?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 17, 2011
      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Peter Bell <lists@...> wrote:

      > But how do you allocate the cost across multiple projects if you've got a small team with deliverables to different groups or a consulting firm with multiple concurrent projects to different clients?

      My suggestion would be the same as what others have said. Either have
      independent product teams doing parallel releases of different
      products or have the team switch after a release. Then the accounting
      doesn't change, but more importantly you are keeping the focus on
      delivering working products and avoiding context switching mid-Sprint.

      If you really need a lot of flexibility I would suggest pushing the
      size of releases down to a single two-week, or even one-week, Sprint.
      If that isn't enough you could even go smaller. You could even go to
      single story releases at which point you are doing something that
      looks less like Scrum.

      There is a group that I have coached that has three Scrum teams
      supporting a couple dozen products. Most of the products are small and
      have been around for a while, so they don't all need a lot of work.
      This group has done the "Scrum-of-Scrums" thing to have all three
      teams work on the same product before, but they have also had each
      team working on different products.

      In this scenario all the products serve more or less the same
      customers. The customers belong to two different business groups. So,
      the managers got together with the business groups and agreed to
      account 66.7% of the costs to one group and 33.3% to the other group.
      They manage both the cost accounting and the backlog priorities
      according to these percentages. Seems to work reasonably well.

      Not every situation breaks down this neatly, but the takeaway is that
      you should talk to your customers and find some simple accounting that
      will allow you to work in an Agile way without getting mired in the
      minutia of budgets.