Re: "Product Owner cannot be Scrum Master" Why?

  • wwiedenroth
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 28, 2011
      Having both roles, PO and SM, combined in one person would lead this person to a huge clash of interests.

      As a PO he wants to get things done and tries to push the team to more stories, more points, more hours, more of everything. He wouldn't have a counterpart stopping him of from changing the sprint-goal. In short he would be free to act as he would like to.

      In his SM role he wants the team work in a sustainable pace and is responsible to ensure the team can concentrate on their commitment.

      You see, it would be very difficult for that person to decide which side he is on. My thesis is almost every person holding both positions would tend to the PO position.

      Regards,
      Wolfgang Wiedenroth
      http://www.agilemanic.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Kulbhushan Sharma <kbs_kulbhushan@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > The Scrum Guide states that a person can be "Team Member" and "Scrum Master", a
      > "Team Member" and "Product Owner" but emphatically rules out "Scrum Master" and
      > "Product Owner" roles by one person.
      >
      > I understand that all these "role combination" lead to one person being split
      > between two set of duties that are required to be performed. But why does only
      > the "SM & PO" combination find particular mention as not acceptable.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Kulbhushan Sharma
      > http://sharmakulbhushan.blogspot.com

    • wwiedenroth