Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: micro projects

  • Linda Rising
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2002
      Here's an interesting "meeting" story. My husband works for a *very* small software
      company. Last week there were unexpected lay-offs and now the small teams are
      even smaller. Essential expertise is gone. Everyone is disheartened.

      My husband had the bright idea of having a Scrum meeting without Scrumming :-)!
      All the teams meet together -- a couple of times a week -- they had their first
      meeting day before yesterday. My husband was really excited and happy to tell
      me that the "meeting" was already working.

      The teams feel better because they can reach out to each other. They are uncovering
      resident expertise that can help them even though important team members are no
      longer around. The most impressive result is that people are asking for help when
      my husband feels that most of them would have crawled into a hole and struggled
      alone to meet the overwhelming new challenges. Even some of the veterans have
      stopped by when they know someone has knowledge of a tool or a customer or
      a board. Even though these teams are producing different products, talking about
      what they did yesterday, what held them up, and what they hope to do tomorrow
      helps.

      You can't ask for more than that -- when your husband is an enthusiastic fan :-)!

      w6rabbit wrote:
      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., Linda Rising <risingl@a...> wrote:
      Hi Brad,

      It's really difficult to jump in and give advice without being
      right
      there
      Sure.

      I would use Scrum meetings -- the most powerful component of the
      whole
      approach
      The scrum meetings make sense to me.
      It was the sprints and the backlog
      that I couldn't see how to modify.

      Would you just start with the SCRUM
      and see how everything else evolved
      around it?

      I've got a couple of articles on what I have seen happen in
      these meetings.
      Thanks, these are very helpful.

      Brad.

      Will You Find True Love?
      Will You Meet the One?
      Free Love Reading by phone!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/7dY7FD/R_ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9EfwlB/TM

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2002
        Linda,

        Wonderful story - casts Scrum as an effective antidote to "Layoff
        Survivor Syndrome" ? See :

        http://triadcareers.jobcontrolcenter.com/pics/triadcareers/pdfs/v13_3_
        93.pdf

        Cheers,

        -[Morendil]-
        This tagline reserved for internal kernel use.
      • Linda Rising
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2002
          I've been a technical person all my life -- but an extrovert --
          surrounded by introverts.
          I never had any trouble talking to the other guys but this is the first
          time I've found a
          way to get them to talk to each other :-)! It's magic -- somehow there
          are rules, so
          they follow the rules and end up saying what they need from each other
          -- amazing!

          Thanks for the pointer to the interesting site -- I certainly have lots
          of friends who
          are suffering -- on one side or the other :-(!

          Laurent Bossavit wrote:

          >Linda,
          >
          >Wonderful story - casts Scrum as an effective antidote to "Layoff
          >Survivor Syndrome" ? See :
          >
          >http://triadcareers.jobcontrolcenter.com/pics/triadcareers/pdfs/v13_3_
          >93.pdf
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >-[Morendil]-
          >This tagline reserved for internal kernel use.

        • Ken Schwaber