[scrumdevelopment] Re: Extreme Programming

  • Marc Perrone
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2000
      Ken,

      While at Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley, I worked for Ron Jeffries. Ron
      has gone on to become one of the chief proponents of Extreme Programming
      (under the tutelage of Kent Beck) and has used it on the Chrysler payroll
      project (he consults to Chrysler).

      Ron maintains a good Extreme Programming web site at
      http://www.xprogramming.com You can email him at ronjeffries@... --
      feel free to mention my name if you want. I've mentioned SCRUM to Ron once
      or twice in the past, though we haven't had a chance to talk about it in any
      great detail.

      Ron is probably easier to get hold of than Kent Beck and is very articulate.
      Good luck!

      --mvp

      Marc Perrone
      Director of Engineering
      ProofSpace, Inc.
      312/925-8613
      marc@... <mailto:marc@...>

    • Yonat Sharon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2000
        VIRMAN@... wrote:
        > Is anyone familiar with Extreme Programming?

        It seems to me that XP adds several programming-specific practices to
        Scrum. Seen from another angle, Scrum is the part of XP that is not
        programming-specific.

        > I'm trying to pull together an interaction mapping so we can see how
        > they mutually support each other.

        I think several practices are essentially the same, other are partly
        similar:

        1. The Backlog is equivalent to XP's stack of cards with User Stories
        and
        Engineering Tasks. Both simplify project planning enough to make it
        easy to change.

        2. The Daily Scrum Meeting is equivalent to XP's Standup Meeting.

        3. Sprints are equivalent to XP's iterations.

        4. The Scrum Master is similar to XP's coach.

        5. Chickens and Pigs can have the end result of XP's Customer On Site.

        --
        Have fun,
        Yonat.

        "The nice thing about standards is that
        there are so many of them to choose from."
        -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum
      • VIRMAN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
          Thanks for the help.