User Stories when Story Points are not assigned

  • charles_bradley_scrum_coach
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2011
      I though this might be worth a thread of its own

      Some background: Ron and Chet mentioned that they have a strategy of making sure all of their User Stories can be done in 1-3 days, and that instead of estimating them individually, they simply count the number of stories done. I think this is an interesting strategy, and I've (totally unofficially) called it "User Stories 2.0". (Ron/Chet, feel free to correct me if I'm mis-characterized or missed something.)

      Ron Jeffries asks,

      > What would happen if the team only accepted stories they were sure a
      > pair could do in one or two days?

      Ron, I don't know. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll attempt to answer anyway, because I like to hear myself type. :-)

      In general, in my estimation, if you grade a team on a scale of 1-10 in terms of their User Story skills/knowledge (10 being the best), here is what I would think would happen:

      1-3: Long methodology discussions on why stories need to be that small. Significant confusion if the PO doesn't know how to split stories well.

      4-7: Short methodology discussion on why they need to be that small, probably with an experimentation on doing so. Some confusion if the PO doesn't know how to split stories well.

      8-10: Short methodology discussion on why they need to be that small, then a serious experiment and probably good results.

      Another related question is:

      In Scrum, what right does the dev team have to "accept" stories into a sprint? I myself have had this view before, but now that I think about it, the Scrum Guide says the dev team decides how much gets selected for a Sprint, but nothing about them having the ability to approve/reject a story for development.

      Charles

      -----------------------

      Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Should I assign Story Points to bugs?
      Hello, charles_bradley_scrum_coach. On Tuesday, January 11, 2011,
      at 1:49:03 PM, you wrote:

      > I'd like to read an article on not assigning story points to user
      > stories. Is there one? If not, please consider writing one.

      > Personally, based on what I've read of this "naked story"
      > strategy, I think the strategy is very advanced, but I also think
      > it could work very well. It would take one helluva skilled Product Owner, in
      my estimate.

      > Sounds like it's time for you guys to document "User Stories 2.0".

      What would happen if the team only accepted stories they were sure a
      pair could do in one or two days?

      Working in a team room reduces significant interruptions
      by making most interruptions very insignificant.