Distributed Scrum Primer

  • petedeemer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I've spent the last 5 years in Asia teaching and coaching Scrum teams,
      and I've seen teams try a lot of different approaches to distributed
      development with Scrum -- some with great results, others not so much.
      As more organizations start using Scrum for projects spread across
      multiple locations, I thought it might be helpful to put together what I
      and my colleagues have found into a single document and share it with
      the community.

      We don't pretend to know the "right" way to do distributed development
      using Scrum -- instead, we've put together a list of things that we've
      seen work well, that other teams might consider as they
      inspect-and-adapt their way to good solutions for their particular
      situation. We'd also love to hear about what's worked well for you, to
      include in future versions -- feel free to email me comments and
      suggestions at petedeemer@.... You can download the
      Distributed Scrum Primer at:

      http://www.DistributedScrumPrimer.com

      Hope you find it useful!

      --Pete

      ----------------------
      Pete Deemer | petedeemer@...
      Certified Scrum Trainer
      Co-Founder, GoodAgile and The Scrum Training Institute
    • jonarcher
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
        Hi Pete,

        Interesting stuff and thanks for sharing. I skimmed it and plan on returning again for a deeper read.

        The question I have right now though is this: Is it worth it? In part 1 you say "many have found that while per-hour development costs are indeed lower, overall project costs can be higher"

        That has certainly been my experience prior to my organization adopting scrum. But it's also my experience after our scrum adoption. My experience is limited to 3 teams and configurations with two locations in the US and India though. I've read several places that it would be better to have complete scrum teams in different locations. My sense is that this would seem easier to do, and one of our previously distributed teams split into two and from what I hear that is working a little better for them.

        So I'm curious: have you found it is possible to get widely distributed teams that include members in low cost countries such as India to end up with lower "running costs" per feature than if you were to just target building a kickass team in a single location wherever the focus of business happens to be?.

        Related...for anyone interested, my (admittedly slightly-ranty) thoughts on this from last year: http://www.jonarcher.com/2010/06/location-location-location.html

        Thanks,
        Jon

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "petedeemer" <petedeemer@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've spent the last 5 years in Asia teaching and coaching Scrum teams,
        > and I've seen teams try a lot of different approaches to distributed
        > development with Scrum -- some with great results, others not so much.
        > As more organizations start using Scrum for projects spread across
        > multiple locations, I thought it might be helpful to put together what I
        > and my colleagues have found into a single document and share it with
        > the community.
        >
        > We don't pretend to know the "right" way to do distributed development
        > using Scrum -- instead, we've put together a list of things that we've
        > seen work well, that other teams might consider as they
        > inspect-and-adapt their way to good solutions for their particular
        > situation. We'd also love to hear about what's worked well for you, to
        > include in future versions -- feel free to email me comments and
        > suggestions at petedeemer@... You can download the
        > Distributed Scrum Primer at:
        >
        > http://www.DistributedScrumPrimer.com
        >
        > Hope you find it useful!
        >
        > --Pete
        >
        > ----------------------
        > Pete Deemer | petedeemer@...
        > Certified Scrum Trainer
        > Co-Founder, GoodAgile and The Scrum Training Institute

      • Alan Dayley

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hi Jon,

            If you're able to invest the time and money in doing distributed agile
            development well, then it can definitely be worth it. For example, I
            was advising a San Francisco-based startup that offshored their
            development to an agile shop in India, and they got fantastic results; I
            was talking to their head of development just last week, and he is still
            raving about his experiences several years later. (The vendor was
            Xebia, and some of the key people on the project now have their own
            company called Inphina.) But these great results didn't come easy --
            they hired a vendor that employed really excellent developers, they made
            a major investment in travel and ambassadorship between the locations,
            they used the right technical practices, did very rigorous inspect and
            adapt, they provided lots of communication and collaboration
            technologies, and more (all of which are outlined in the primer). The
            overall project cost was less than what they would have paid locally for
            development, but it wasn't dirt cheap; of perhaps greater value was the
            fact that they were able to get a development team up and running
            quickly, and get access to exception developers, people with skills that
            were superior to those they could hire in the ultra-competitive Bay Area
            market.

            In my experience, the customers who tend to get badly burned with
            "offshore agile" are the ones who try to do it as inexpensively as
            possible. For example, I was talking to a company recently who created
            a highly detailed spec and send it out for bids to a list of companies
            that came up in a Google search of "offshore agile vendors". They went
            with the lowest-cost fixed-bid proposal. It turned out the team was far
            from "agile" -- they had only a rudimentary knowledge of Scrum
            practices, they had zero ability to deliver potentially shippable
            product every Sprint, they knew absolutely nothing about TDD, CI,
            refactoring, emergent design and architecture, etc. The project bid had
            been decided by the salespeople, with zero input from the team, and it
            was ridiculously unrealistic; the vendor planned to bulk up the cost
            along the way, by nickle-and-diming the customer on changes. Between
            the start of the project and the end, there was 100% turnover in the
            team. And what was delivered at the end of the project was disastrously
            fubar. Unfortunately, if sometimes takes experiences like this for
            companies to learn that the true cost of software is not what it costs
            to develop, or even what it costs to maintain, but it's the cost to the
            business when it's not delivered! This company in question spent $200K
            on the development, and lost 6 months of time to market and several
            million dollars in business when the project failed.

            tl;dr -- I'd say it's very worth it if you're able to make an investment
            in doing it well, not just cheaply, and you're able to work with a team
            that has the right skills, setup, and support.

            Best Regards, --Pete

            PS: A couple of folks I know have asked me to put together a checklist
            for how to evaluate offshore agile development vendors -- if you'd like
            a copy, email me at petedeemer[at]goodagile.com .

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
              Thanks for your considered reply Pete.

              Bit of a downer though for us software engineers in the "expensive" countries :-/

              Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'd like to think that "scrum done well" with a co-located team for a US customer could still offer better value than a distributed team doing scrum really well despite their obvious potential salary savings (depending on how many of the scrum team were in India/China/etc.)

              Best,
              Jon

            • petedeemer
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                I wouldn't get too down about it Jon. I think for those companies that are successful with distributed development, the true cost savings are getting smaller and smaller as time passes, as the "less expensive" countries get more expensive, and the market for talent heats up globally. I was talking to an offshore development company in India recently that is setting up centers in Vietnam; for them, the US is "onshore," India is "midshore", and Vietnam is "offshore"!

                I think over the long term, the power of globally distributed development will be more and more about finding great talent, with cost savings as a side benefit. Of course, the ideal will always be to have 5 great developers sitting a few feet away from you. But if I had to choose between hiring 5 stellar developers in India or China (or Uruguay, or South Africa) or 5 not-very-good developers locally, personally I'd go with the more skilled ones, and look forward to some frequent flyer miles! :)

                --Pete

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Jon Archer <jon@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for your considered reply Pete.
                >
                > Bit of a downer though for us software engineers in the "expensive"
                > countries :-/
                >
                > Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'd like to think that "scrum done well" with
                > a co-located team for a US customer could still offer better value than a
                > distributed team doing scrum really well despite their obvious potential
                > salary savings (depending on how many of the scrum team were in
                > India/China/etc.)
                >
                > Best,
                > Jon

              • srinivas chillara
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                  Hiya Jon,
                  I am based in India (and am Indian) and have worked in various teams in UK, US and Ireland (during the late nineties and early naughties). The percentage of great...ish developers among developer population is significantly lower in India compared to all the other counties mentioned above. Currently I am coaching/consulting for a company and am dealing occasionally with developers from the UK and I continue to notice this difference.

                  So the only ones who need to be apprehensive of the low priced countries are the inept developers in the west. I think there is more than enough work for half-decent developers all over the world.

                  So maybe you are right after all (I tend to agree with you), but various senior managers will make different decisions, and as the size of the project increases, for many US based companies it actually makes sense to offshore.

                  cheers
                  Srinivas Chillara
                  www.scrumcoach.co.in

                  I wouldn't get too down about it Jon. I think for those companies that are successful with distributed development, the true cost savings are getting smaller and smaller as time passes, as the "less expensive" countries get more expensive, and the market for talent heats up globally. I was talking to an offshore development company in India recently that is setting up centers in Vietnam; for them, the US is "onshore," India is "midshore", and Vietnam is "offshore"!

                  I think over the long term, the power of globally distributed development will be more and more about finding great talent, with cost savings as a side benefit. Of course, the ideal will always be to have 5 great developers sitting a few feet away from you. But if I had to choose between hiring 5 stellar developers in India or China (or Uruguay, or South Africa) or 5 not-very-good developers locally, personally I'd go with the more skilled ones, and look forward to some frequent flyer miles! :)

                  --Pete

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Jon Archer <jon@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for your considered reply Pete.
                  >
                  > Bit of a downer though for us software engineers in the "expensive"
                  > countries :-/
                  >
                  > Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'd like to think that "scrum done well" with
                  > a co-located team for a US customer could still offer better value than a
                  > distributed team doing scrum really well despite their obvious potential
                  > salary savings (depending on how many of the scrum team were in
                  > India/China/etc.)
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Jon

                • karatasfamily
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 12, 2011
                    oh, boy, this does sound like a lot fo work ...
                    Alan

                  • Richard Griffiths
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011

                      Hi Pete, I’d like to have a look at this as well, but unfortunately I’m getting

                      Site Temporarily Unavailable

                      We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

                      error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

                      when I try and access the site.

                      --

                      Richard

                      Speed is n0 subsitute fnor accurancy

                    • Dave Rooney
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                        Maybe that's a hint. :)
                        --
                        Dave Rooney
                        Westboro Systems

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011

                          Ah, yes ..... [insert coffee here] ...reboot.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                              I go offline for 2 days, and of course everything breaks! :)

                              while I sort this out, here's an alternate link:

                              http://www.goodagile.com/distributedscrumprimer/

                              best, --Pete