Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • ronjeffries@acm.org
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011
      Mary Doria Russell said "Wisdom begins when we learn the difference between 'That makes no sense', and 'I don't understand'."

      Be that as it may, if your organization really doesn't want to ship very often, and you're happy with important things being in the sole hands of "experts", and so on, maybe you don't need any different approaches. I do wonder why you call yourself "Agile Jedi", but I suppose I could call myself Suzie if I wanted to.

      Why does your organization "highly recommend" Scrum? Is there something that they want that they aren't getting now? How do you propose to get it without doing new things?

      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes