Re: Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • agilejedi
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011

      > Hello, agilejedi. On Monday, January 3, 2011, at 4:40:57 PM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > >> Does your team often get to the end of an iteration with more than one
      > >> story unfinished? Then they will probably benefit from swarming. That
      > >> simple.
      >
      > > Is this the general way to address unfinished stories?
      >
      > If you get to the end of an iteration with more than one unfinished
      > story, that tells us that people were working on the most important
      > of those stories ... and on the least important. It makes us think
      > that a little more focus on the most important one might have gotten
      > it done.

      Okay, that makes perfect sense.

      This code is released seldom, so the idea of one story being exceptionally more important than another during an iteration only comes into play if that story is a base for building other stories and therefore someone might be waiting. As the stories build up to a certain amount of improvements and new features then the application is delivered. The code is well divided along lines of expertise and usually no one waits on another. Scrum is "strongly" encouraged and maybe it doesn't fit, so therefore my confusion with swarming in general. Our world is different, and maybe simpler than most. We might be the lucky ones.
      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes