Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011
      On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM, agilejedi <agilejedi@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does your team often get to the end of an iteration with more than one
      > > story unfinished? Then they will probably benefit from swarming. That
      > > simple.
      >
      > Is this the general way to address unfinished stories?

      No. The purpose of swarming is not to address unfinished stories. The
      purpose of swarming is to increase quality and consistency by getting
      the whole team involved in a story as near to the beginning as
      possible.

      If you increase quality and consistency then as a side effect you
      learn how much you can do in a small increment of time. You can use
      that knowledge to estimate what you can get done over time and never
      take on more than you are reasonably confident you can finish.

      The reason that quality and consistency are higher with swarming than
      with parallel work is that all of the skills and abilities of the
      entire team (including the customer) are brought to bear on a single
      item maximizing its chance for success. Of course, this only works for
      small teams that have learned to work well together, but for such
      teams it works extraordinarily well.
      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes