Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • Peter Stevens (cal)
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi Jedi,

      Trust you feelings, not your machines ;-)

      In my classes, I show how smaller stories and serializing (rather than multitasking) can increase the team's success at the end of each sprint. Pairing and swarming have other interesting side-effects, like sharing know-how among team members and eliminating single points of know-how loss.

      Swarming is an extreme case of serializing, literally one story at a time. Is it really doable? Does it really work for your team?  I think this is one of those cases where trying is better than discussing. Try it as an experiment and see how it works. Personal experience is the best teacher.

      Cheers,

      Peter

      On 3/1/11 10:40 PM, agilejedi wrote:

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

      > Does your team often get to the end of an iteration with more than one
      > story unfinished? Then they will probably benefit from swarming. That
      > simple.

      Is this the general way to address unfinished stories?

      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes