Re: [scrumdevelopment] Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • Jussi Mononen
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011
      On 3 January 2011 22:33, agilejedi <agilejedi@...> wrote:

      Maybe management would like developers to be like bees. We all work in our roles, all roles work synergistic-ally to the benefit of the whole, and we will never want to change our role, our position, leave the hive, serve a new queen, become the queen, or get a little personal recognition, because we are not people, we are bees.

      Sorry, I don't get it.

      AJ

      Hi AJ,

      to me your outburst sounds, well, overcomplicated. I understand swarming as simply as "put as many team members working on the most important story as feasible".

      As an example, team of 7 (5 devs, 2 testers) in their daily scrum swarms. Their 1st priority story has tasks for 3 developers and one tester, the 2nd priority story has enough tasks for the rest of them. So that is what they do. When one of the team members finishes she moves to the next possible task with the highest priority and so on. If the whole team can not work within one story it's not a big deal (to me being able to fit 7 persons to work with one story smells like a too big of a story..)

      Br,

      --
      "Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert. A. Heinlein

      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes