Re: [scrumdevelopment] Swarming, I just don't get it.

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi Jedi,

      > For example, I have seen using generics banned because the majority
      > of the developers did not understand how to read the syntax.

      What in the world has that got to do with swarming? This is not the
      argument you are looking for.

      Parallelizing work too much often kills a team's velocity. Encouraging
      a team to "swarm" sets up a countervailing force.

      Does your team often get to the end of an iteration with more than one
      story unfinished? Then they will probably benefit from swarming. That
      simple.

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hello, Seyit.

        Very well put! Thanks!

        On Friday, January 7, 2011, at 6:17:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't you think if team used swarming "in a right fashion" (what ever it
        > is):

        > 1. Majorty might learn how to read the syntax of generics,
        > 2. "The vocal, big mouthed, team idiot", might realize he's not the boss and
        > should get well with the whole team or he needs to get the .... out,
        > 3. The lesser mind can learn something from the better one.

        > My team doesn't use swarming and also I don't have any first hand experience
        > on that. But considering the examples you have, and definition of swarming,
        > it seems actually teams you describe might give it a try.

        > Proposition 1: Two minds are always better than one, if they are combined in
        > the right fashion. So you might be doing it wrong.
        > Proposition 2: Given two minds, it's not proven there exists a pattern to
        > find which one is better. So it doesn't matter if one is better than the
        > other.

        Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
        accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes