Re: User Story Examples

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
      Sorry, Carlton. Discussing user stories around here lately is like touch the third rail. :-)

      Have you checked out Mike Cohn's book, "User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development"?

      I believe he also has some very useful material on his website.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...> wrote:

      > I guess I asked at the wrong time of the year - no one wants to share...
      >
      > Carlton

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
        On 12/30/10 11:06 AM, banshee858 wrote:
        > I guess I asked at the wrong time of the year - no one wants to share...

        The examples I have are just a few words on a card. Is that what you want?

      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
          "A few words on a card"? That can NEVER be a User Story, George, you know that!  It sounds like "A short, simple sentence about a requirement, from a User" which has been totally discredited as a definition of a User Story ... remember?

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: lists@...
          Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:54:51 -0500
          Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Story Examples

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
            Hello, Roy. On Thursday, December 30, 2010, at 9:10:16 PM, you
            wrote:

            > "A few words on a card"? That can NEVER be a User Story, George,
            > you know that! It sounds like "A short, simple sentence about a
            > requirement, from a User" which has been totally discredited as a
            > definition of a User Story ... remember?

            I must have missed that memo ...

            You can observe a lot by watching. --Yogi Berra
          • Roy Morien
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
              That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

              Regards,
              Roy Morien

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2010
                Hello, Roy. On Friday, December 31, 2010, at 12:09:57 AM, you
                wrote:

                > That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

                The /written/ part of a user story, which seems to be what the OP is
                asking to see, is a few words on a card.

                The communication of a user story needs to go beyond a few words on
                a card. That does not seem to me to be the current topic.

                There is no award for "being XP". There is an award for doing the
                right combination of practices: success.
              • woynam
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2010
                  We're sorry, but the movie that was expected to be seen at this time has been replaced with a repeat of "The Longest Day", staring John Wayne, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Red Buttons, Henry Fonda, Peter Lawford, Robert Mitchem, and a host of other big stars. :-)

                  Happy New Year, everybody!

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
                    Ron, you are obfuscating the situation. But let's not give that Mark guy the satisfaction of opening up a verbal tussle again ... it is not that important in the scheme of things.

                    Regards,
                    Roy Morien

                    ps: Damn You, Mark guy!! :)

                    To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ronjeffries@...
                    Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 06:06:07 -0500

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Oh Yes, and I wish all gathered here a Very Happy, Successful and Prosperous New Year, 2554 ... which is the Buddhist year equal to 2011 ... given I live in Thailand, it is appropriate.

                      Regards,
                      Roy Morien

                      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ronjeffries@...
                      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 06:06:07 -0500

                      wrote:

                      > That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

                      The /written/ part of a user story, which seems to be what the OP is
                      asking to see, is a few words on a card.

                      The communication of a user story needs to go beyond a few words on
                      a card. That does not seem to me to be the current topic.

                      There is no award for "being XP". There is an award for doing the
                      right combination of practices: success.

                    • charles_bradley_scrum_coach
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                        Ron might have wrote the memo, but I signed it too. Ok, I didn't sign it, but I yell it at the top of my lungs to anyone who asks about User Stories. :-)

                        Carlton, I'm sorry I don't have anything to share and I'm super busy right now. It's a dream of mine to one day have a website and/or book with lots of good User Story Examples. I'm currently writing a blog post called "User Story Traps."

                        Carlton, *please*, if you are training your folks on User Stories, *please* remind them that a User Story consists of 3 parts. Without any one of them, a team will not yield the full benefits of User Stories. See Ron's memo for the 3 parts.

                        btw, Here is Ron's memo:
                        http://xprogramming.com/articles/expcardconversationconfirmation/

                        Charles Bradley

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 5, 2011
                          Carlton,

                          On 12/28/10 5:54 PM, banshee858 wrote:
                          > I am looking for example user stories for an upcoming training class.
                          > I would use some of my own, but I want a variety of examples - good
                          > and bad - from different types of products for the participants.
                          > Please consider sharing one or two with me on the list or privately
                          > via email. Thanks.

                          While looking through some notes, I came across
                          http://agilecoach.typepad.com/photos/connextra_user_story_2001/connextrastorycard.html