User Story Examples

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 28, 2010
      I am looking for example user stories for an upcoming training class. I would use some of my own, but I want a variety of examples - good and bad - from different types of products for the participants. Please consider sharing one or two with me on the list or privately via email. Thanks.

      Carlton
    • woynam
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2010
        Roy,

        Do you want to handle this one? <Mark ducks incoming projectile> ;-)

        Mark

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for example user stories for an upcoming training class. I would use some of my own, but I want a variety of examples - good and bad - from different types of products for the participants. Please consider sharing one or two with me on the list or privately via email. Thanks.
        >
        > Carlton

      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2010
          :) I wondered if someone would suggest that :) ... but ... I will read the examples of others with great interest, as an educational experience :)

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: woyna@...
          Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 15:21:27 +0000
          Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Story Examples

          Roy,

          Do you want to handle this one? <Mark ducks incoming projectile> ;-)

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for example user stories for an upcoming training class. I would use some of my own, but I want a variety of examples - good and bad - from different types of products for the participants. Please consider sharing one or two with me on the list or privately via email. Thanks.
          >
          > Carlton

        • banshee858
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
            I guess I asked at the wrong time of the year - no one wants to share...

            Carlton
          • woynam
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
              Sorry, Carlton. Discussing user stories around here lately is like touch the third rail. :-)

              Have you checked out Mike Cohn's book, "User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development"?

              I believe he also has some very useful material on his website.

              Mark

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...> wrote:

              > I guess I asked at the wrong time of the year - no one wants to share...
              >
              > Carlton

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                On 12/30/10 11:06 AM, banshee858 wrote:
                > I guess I asked at the wrong time of the year - no one wants to share...

                The examples I have are just a few words on a card. Is that what you want?

              • Roy Morien
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                  "A few words on a card"? That can NEVER be a User Story, George, you know that!  It sounds like "A short, simple sentence about a requirement, from a User" which has been totally discredited as a definition of a User Story ... remember?

                  Regards,
                  Roy Morien

                  To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                  From: lists@...
                  Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:54:51 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Story Examples

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Hello, Roy. On Thursday, December 30, 2010, at 9:10:16 PM, you
                    wrote:

                    > "A few words on a card"? That can NEVER be a User Story, George,
                    > you know that! It sounds like "A short, simple sentence about a
                    > requirement, from a User" which has been totally discredited as a
                    > definition of a User Story ... remember?

                    I must have missed that memo ...

                    You can observe a lot by watching. --Yogi Berra
                  • Roy Morien
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                      That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

                      Regards,
                      Roy Morien

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 31, 2010
                        Hello, Roy. On Friday, December 31, 2010, at 12:09:57 AM, you
                        wrote:

                        > That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

                        The /written/ part of a user story, which seems to be what the OP is
                        asking to see, is a few words on a card.

                        The communication of a user story needs to go beyond a few words on
                        a card. That does not seem to me to be the current topic.

                        There is no award for "being XP". There is an award for doing the
                        right combination of practices: success.
                      • woynam
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 31, 2010
                          We're sorry, but the movie that was expected to be seen at this time has been replaced with a repeat of "The Longest Day", staring John Wayne, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Red Buttons, Henry Fonda, Peter Lawford, Robert Mitchem, and a host of other big stars. :-)

                          Happy New Year, everybody!

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
                            Ron, you are obfuscating the situation. But let's not give that Mark guy the satisfaction of opening up a verbal tussle again ... it is not that important in the scheme of things.

                            Regards,
                            Roy Morien

                            ps: Damn You, Mark guy!! :)

                            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                            From: ronjeffries@...
                            Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 06:06:07 -0500

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
                              Oh Yes, and I wish all gathered here a Very Happy, Successful and Prosperous New Year, 2554 ... which is the Buddhist year equal to 2011 ... given I live in Thailand, it is appropriate.

                              Regards,
                              Roy Morien

                              To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                              From: ronjeffries@...
                              Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 06:06:07 -0500

                              wrote:

                              > That's odd, Ron, because you wrote it.

                              The /written/ part of a user story, which seems to be what the OP is
                              asking to see, is a few words on a card.

                              The communication of a user story needs to go beyond a few words on
                              a card. That does not seem to me to be the current topic.

                              There is no award for "being XP". There is an award for doing the
                              right combination of practices: success.

                            • charles_bradley_scrum_coach
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                                Ron might have wrote the memo, but I signed it too. Ok, I didn't sign it, but I yell it at the top of my lungs to anyone who asks about User Stories. :-)

                                Carlton, I'm sorry I don't have anything to share and I'm super busy right now. It's a dream of mine to one day have a website and/or book with lots of good User Story Examples. I'm currently writing a blog post called "User Story Traps."

                                Carlton, *please*, if you are training your folks on User Stories, *please* remind them that a User Story consists of 3 parts. Without any one of them, a team will not yield the full benefits of User Stories. See Ron's memo for the 3 parts.

                                btw, Here is Ron's memo:
                                http://xprogramming.com/articles/expcardconversationconfirmation/

                                Charles Bradley

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 5, 2011
                                  Carlton,

                                  On 12/28/10 5:54 PM, banshee858 wrote:
                                  > I am looking for example user stories for an upcoming training class.
                                  > I would use some of my own, but I want a variety of examples - good
                                  > and bad - from different types of products for the participants.
                                  > Please consider sharing one or two with me on the list or privately
                                  > via email. Thanks.

                                  While looking through some notes, I came across
                                  http://agilecoach.typepad.com/photos/connextra_user_story_2001/connextrastorycard.html