Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile team member loss

  • thierry henrio
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hello Rafael
      On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Rafael Nascimento <rafaelnascimento.rj@...> wrote:

      I need to know how could I coach a team through the process of losing one of its highly collaborative member.

      Why did team perceived this member as highly collaborative ?
      Was he bringing more fun, more tech, more erlang, more beers ?
      Then ask team to plan how to compensate first voted contribution of member loss ?

      Why do you believe there is a process for such events ?
      Curious, Thierry
    • Don Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
        Rafael:

        > I'd like to minimize the psychological and motivational impacts. Any
        > suggestions?

        You might ask how the team members feel about the loss. That would give
        you the impacts the team experiences.

        The Kubler-Ross model covers the five stages of grief. It might help to
        be aware of them.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

        I try to have a ceremony for the team celebrating the accomplishments
        and how the person leaving contributed to the team's success. At a later
        time move into a "how will we do this now" conversation.

        --
        Don Gray (336)414-4645
        http://www.donaldegray.com

        We don't need better solutions, we need better thinking about problems.
        attributed to Russell Ackoff

        Practice thinking about problems at the AYE Conference
        AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
      • scrumnoob
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
          Not sure how big a problem this is, but maybe after a short amount of time it will become apparent that actually there maybe opportunities for others to demonstrate how they also have some of these attributes......

          I have always through it dangerous to have people who we cannot do without. Not saying you are in this boat, but I am unsure as to the psychological impact of a colleague leaving. Unles it through death, redundancy etc....

          Any more background?