Re: Keeping cross-cutting tasks visible (without technical stories)

  • peterskeide
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
      I think you have some good points here. Like you, I feel that sometimes "baking in" some technical work in a User Story is like hiding information, especially if the technical issues and the User Story are unrelated.

      It is important to remember that developers are stakeholders too. That's why I don't see a problem with the product backlog sometimes reflecting the needs of the developers.

      In a perfect world everybody get to work on exciting new products, know exactly what to do and how to do it well. Unfortunately, that just isn't so for most of us. Sometimes we must work on legacy systems where there never was a clear definition of done. Sometimes we must help organizations/projects that are transitioning to agile and just learning practices that we as a community take for granted. In such situations it can be very important to highlight issues related to technical debt or developer supporting infrastructure. I think the Product Backlog is one way to make such issues visible.

      Also, don't forget that Scrum does not mandate User Stories. For some, technical requirements may be just the thing. Others prefer Use Cases, or perhaps measurable stakeholder goals (as promoted by Gilb). Hopefully, everyone takes their own context into consideration and then *choose the format best suited to their current needs*.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
        Hello, peterskeide. On Thursday, December 2, 2010, at 6:25:41 AM,
        you wrote:

        > I think you have some good points here. Like you, I feel that
        > sometimes "baking in" some technical work in a User Story is like
        > hiding information, especially if the technical issues and the
        > User Story are unrelated.

        I would not recommend that. I don't know anyone who would.

        If you don't push something beyond its boundary of usefulness
        how do you find where that boundary is? -- Martin Fowler
      • Alan Dayley
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
          Nice discussion of the thoughts, Malcolm.  I'm flattered.

          An Oath of Stewardship can be a useful framework for discussion of interaction between the Product Owner and the developers on the team.  And I may use it as such.  I'd not ever support such a thing be promulgated as mandatory.

          Alan

          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

          Ron, Alan

          I probably should not blog at midnight.

          http://geekswithblogs.net/geekusconlivus/archive/2010/12/01/scrum-product-owners-oath-of-stewardship.aspx

          Ron, you'll get a track back too, I promise.

          Malcolm

          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

          Interesting point of view, Malcolm.  You may be pointing out a lack in emphasis on the Product Owner role in many training and use situations.  I don't think it is a fault of the Scrum framework, however.

          Phrases seen in Scrum writings with regard to the Product Owner role:  "...owns the ROI of the product..."  "..represents the customer..."  "...owns the Product Backlog..." and the odious "...single wringable neck..."  And even the title of the role means *owner* of the product.

          What part of these terms does not mean stewardship?  You are pointing out that Product Owners are not getting the message, *despite* what the Scrum training and literature states.  Maybe an oath would help but I don't think the message of product stewardship is lacking in Scrum.

          I had some other ideas to write but Ron was faster with his elaborations, which I don't think I can say any better.

          Nice discussions!

          Alan

          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

          Ron

          This issue in Scrum of how to keep up the technical maintenance has always bothered me.

          I was cruising along with your answer, singing praises to your ability to make the unclear, clear.
          Until you got to the point where you seem to encourage a lack of transparency.

          >At first, maybe this takes a little longer per story. This is not a real concern, as no one but the team really knows if the team
          >can do twelve this Sprint or only ten. The team commits to what they can do. They do it, and the world becomes a better place.

          This sounds like "lying to your product owner" (and the product owners that I've worked with, do know that "the team can do twelve")
          This goes against the value of transparency.
          It also takes away the PO's right to incur short term technical debt in order to make a particular deadline.

          One of the weaknesses of Scrum is that we think, it's self evident that product owners are responsible for maintaining the health their product while they provide value to their customer.

          I believe that this all comes down to Stewardship, and not making it clear to the product owner that they need to be Stewards to their product.

          I've got 3 questions, the answers to which I believe are currently "No, No and No"

          1) Is there a Product Owner body where Product Owners discuss with other product owners how to be a better product owner?

          2) Is the concept of Stewardship a part of the PO training?

          3) Has the PO body taking on a commitment to maintaining and improving the health of their products?

          Until the answer to the above 3 questions is Yes, Yes, and Yes, this is going to be an issue with Scrum.
          Until we have some kind of "Product Owner Oath of Stewardship," this is going to be an issue with Scrum.
          Until stewardship is self evident to people other than Scrum Masters, this is going to be an issue with Scrum.

          wrote:

> [...]

          Better yet, soon, surprisingly soon, it doesn't take longer after
          all. Since we are improving the code and tests in the areas we
          work in, velocity picks up quite quickly in the areas we work in.
          We wind up going faster than before, because we are going better.

          Our Product Owner retains her ability to prioritize the whole of
          our work, and our code improves. No confusion, no political
          discussion, no need to make promises about the future that we may
          not be able to keep.

          We don't need technical stories or tricky negotiations. We just do
          the job we were always supposed to do, namely make each story
          DONE, fully tested, with a good design in place.

          Thousands of years ago, the first man discovered how to make fire.
          He was probably burned at the stake he had taught his brothers to
          light - Howard Roark (The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand)

        • banshee858
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Paul Tevis <ptevis@...> wrote:

            > The team I'm on right now is about four months into a Scrum
            > transition, and we're finally starting to deal with technical debt
            > reduction and technical practice improvement. One thing that I'm
            > struggling with is how to make the work that we're doing on these
            > visible to the team, while at the same time keeping our focus on
            > delivering customer value (i.e. doing real stories).
            >
            > My concerns are (1) as soon as we start tracking non-story tasks we'll
            > lose focus on delivering customer value, and (2) if we don't make
            > these sorts of tasks visible, we won't make progress on them at the
            > rate we need to. What are good patterns you've seen for dealing with
            > technical tasks that aren't directly attached to a story (or that cut
            > across multiple stories)?

            Have you tried something like this?

            List all the technical debt stuff on little post-it notes adjacent to the Task Board. When a Product Backlog item (PBI) is selected for a Sprint, look at the technical debt pieces and find the pieces that make sense to finish while working on the PBI. Add those to the scope of work for the PBI and estimate how long it will take to complete the feature and the technical debt pieces.

            That way you make the technical debt work visible, you can prioritize it and link it to real value.

            Carlton
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
              Hello, banshee858. On Thursday, December 2, 2010, at 2:20:45 PM,
              you wrote:

              > Have you tried something like this?

              > List all the technical debt stuff on little post-it notes
              > adjacent to the Task Board. When a Product Backlog item (PBI) is
              > selected for a Sprint, look at the technical debt pieces and find
              > the pieces that make sense to finish while working on the PBI.
              > Add those to the scope of work for the PBI and estimate how long
              > it will take to complete the feature and the technical debt pieces.

              > That way you make the technical debt work visible, you can
              > prioritize it and link it to real value.

              Very nice!

              We accomplish what we understand. If we are to accomplish something
              together, we need to understand it together.
            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
                On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Malcolm Anderson
                <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                > There are a lot of reasons for taking on short term
                > technical debt. I use the analogy of the credit card with a 36%
                > interest rate. You do not want to use that card. But there are times
                > when it makes great business sense to use that card in a short term
                > situation.

                If you were going to make that business decision you would at least
                want to know:

                1) How much am I spending?

                2) How much interest will I incur? Over what period of time?

                3) Will I have enough revenue to pay it back?

                When teams voluntarily take on technical debt they rarely (if ever)
                know the answer to even one of these questions.

                The interest we are talking about is much higher than you think. It is
                more analogous to a loan shark than a credit card. I have seen teams
                create enough of a mess in a single two-week Sprint that they were
                never able to fix it. I myself am only able to fix the messes I make
                with a reasonable amount of effort if I do it within a few days. After
                a few weeks the effort is an order of magnitude higher than the
                initial investment.

                < beating a dead horse >
                This is not what the technical debt metaphor was ever intended to
                address. Even when we do the best job possible our understanding of
                the problem evolves over time. We have to go back periodically and
                refactor the code to represent our *current* understanding of the
                problem. If we don't then our understanding and the code will continue
                to diverge until the code becomes very hard to maintain. *That* is
                what technical debt means. Neither Ward Cunningham (the originator of
                the metaphor) nor anyone who understood him ever said that writing
                crappy, untested code is sometimes a good business decision.
                < / beating dead horse >
              • Alan Dayley
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2010
                  +10

                  Alan

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2010

                    > > List all the technical debt stuff on little post-it notes
                    > > adjacent to the Task Board. When a Product Backlog item (PBI) is
                    > > selected for a Sprint, look at the technical debt pieces and find
                    > > the pieces that make sense to finish while working on the PBI.
                    > > Add those to the scope of work for the PBI and estimate how long
                    > > it will take to complete the feature and the technical debt pieces.
                    >
                    > > That way you make the technical debt work visible, you can
                    > > prioritize it and link it to real value.
                    >
                    > Very nice!

                    Not my idea - it came from Tobias Mayer.

                    Carlton
                  • tobias.mayer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 6, 2010
                      I can't take credit for it either. I first witnessed this with a team I worked with at Business Week in NYC. It emerged from the collective consciousness of the team. As I recall this is what they did (just expanding on Carlton's description):

                      Whenever they found technical debt, or any kind of code problem that needed fixing, they didn't fix it unless it was essential to complete the story they were working on (this took some discipline). Otherwise they wrote a sticky note (a task) and added it to a special box on the visual management wall labeled Technical Debt. This served two purposes: a reminder to the team, and a visual representation to the business of the state of the codebase.

                      At any subsequent planning meeting, when the USER-FACING stories were discussed (I don't buy into the concept of "technical stories") someone may remind the team that if such-and-such a story was attempted then certain code debt items called out on the wall would need to be fixed as part of that story. The rule was "no workarounds". This clean up work was then considered as part of the essential work of the story, and the story was estimated accordingly.

                      These tasks were NOT part of the backlog, they didn't get prioritized and were never fixed in isolation. Instead, when the story was estimated and committed to, these tasks simply became extra tasks towards the completion of the story. It was very elegant, very simple and it worked well for that team. Code debt got cleaned up when doing so resulted in value to the user.

                      And visually everyone could see the results of that clean up: An fast-emptying space on the wall.

                      Tobias

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 6, 2010
                        Hello, Tobias,

                        Excellent! Just what I like to see!

                        On Monday, December 6, 2010, at 1:51:46 PM,
                        you wrote:

                        > I can't take credit for it either. I first witnessed this with a
                        > team I worked with at Business Week in NYC. It emerged from the
                        > collective consciousness of the team. As I recall this is what
                        > they did (just expanding on Carlton's description):

                        > Whenever they found technical debt, or any kind of code problem
                        > that needed fixing, they didn't fix it unless it was essential to
                        > complete the story they were working on (this took some
                        > discipline). Otherwise they wrote a sticky note (a task) and added
                        > it to a special box on the visual management wall labeled
                        > Technical Debt. This served two purposes: a reminder to the team,
                        > and a visual representation to the business of the state of the codebase.

                        > At any subsequent planning meeting, when the USER-FACING stories
                        > were discussed (I don't buy into the concept of "technical
                        > stories") someone may remind the team that if such-and-such a
                        > story was attempted then certain code debt items called out on the
                        > wall would need to be fixed as part of that story. The rule was
                        > "no workarounds". This clean up work was then considered as part
                        > of the essential work of the story, and the story was estimated accordingly.

                        > These tasks were NOT part of the backlog, they didn't get
                        > prioritized and were never fixed in isolation. Instead, when the
                        > story was estimated and committed to, these tasks simply became
                        > extra tasks towards the completion of the story. It was very
                        > elegant, very simple and it worked well for that team. Code debt
                        > got cleaned up when doing so resulted in value to the user.

                        > And visually everyone could see the results of that clean up: An fast-emptying space on the wall.

                        In times of stress, I like to turn to the wisdom of my Portuguese waitress,
                        who said: "Olá, meu nome é Marisol e eu serei sua garçonete."
                        -- after Mark Vaughn, Autoweek.