Agile team member loss

  • Rafael Nascimento
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi people!

      I need to know how could I coach a team through the process of losing one of its highly collaborative member.
      I'd like to minimize the psychological and motivational impacts. Any suggestions?

      Best regards!
      Rafael Nascimento
    • thierry henrio
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        Hello Rafael
        On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Rafael Nascimento <rafaelnascimento.rj@...> wrote:

        I need to know how could I coach a team through the process of losing one of its highly collaborative member.

        Why did team perceived this member as highly collaborative ?
        Was he bringing more fun, more tech, more erlang, more beers ?
        Then ask team to plan how to compensate first voted contribution of member loss ?

        Why do you believe there is a process for such events ?
        Curious, Thierry
      • Don Gray
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
          Rafael:

          > I'd like to minimize the psychological and motivational impacts. Any
          > suggestions?

          You might ask how the team members feel about the loss. That would give
          you the impacts the team experiences.

          The Kubler-Ross model covers the five stages of grief. It might help to
          be aware of them.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

          I try to have a ceremony for the team celebrating the accomplishments
          and how the person leaving contributed to the team's success. At a later
          time move into a "how will we do this now" conversation.

          --
          Don Gray (336)414-4645
          http://www.donaldegray.com

          We don't need better solutions, we need better thinking about problems.
          attributed to Russell Ackoff

          Practice thinking about problems at the AYE Conference
          AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
        • scrumnoob
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
            Not sure how big a problem this is, but maybe after a short amount of time it will become apparent that actually there maybe opportunities for others to demonstrate how they also have some of these attributes......

            I have always through it dangerous to have people who we cannot do without. Not saying you are in this boat, but I am unsure as to the psychological impact of a colleague leaving. Unles it through death, redundancy etc....

            Any more background?