Re: What are 'swim lanes'

  • Kurt Haeusler
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2010
      I remember being turned off the idea of swim lanes (in the Kanban sense), when experimenting with personal Kanban. I noticed that the types of tasks I wanted to "manage" with Kanban had a lot of different natures to the types of thing that make Kanban ideal for work. When I looked into how I could handle them with Kanban part of the answer was swimlanes. I remember thinking at the time that it took a lot of the simplicity away from Kanban, and would have resulted in a system not as clean, pure and simple as I wanted.

      Now I have seen more examples of using swimlanes in a more common example, the managing of the flow of software production, I concede swimlanes, when used appropriately and sparingly can be appropriate, especially when modeling existing scenarios, like multiple teams working in something.

      I still can't help seeing it as something I want to optimize away though. When I see swimlanes I think why are they there, and can I simplify the process to do away with them.