Re: "Stories Too Big" Scrum Anti-pattern: what do you think about the effectiveness of the "now standard" format for a User Story?

  • kpughconsult
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010
      Doug,

      I can tell you about "stories through tables". That isn't an exact description of what I talk about.

      In my new book, "Lean-Agile Acceptance Test-Driven Development: Better Software Through Collaboration", I show examples of acceptance tests using tables. The tables are an implementation-independent representation of the tests. They can be implemented in Fit, Cucumber, Robot, or any number of test frameworks.

      A story may have multiple acceptance tests. If the story needs to be broken down, one way is to assign sub-sets of those tests to smaller stories. Thus one or more of the tests represented by tables are the acceptance tests for the small stories.

      For example, suppose you have a story whose details are described by a use case with a couple of exceptions. The main course and each exception will have corresponding tests. The story can be broken down into three stories - the main course and ones for each exception. The tests will be divided accordingly.

      Ken Pugh
      Fellow Consultant
      Net Objectives
      ken.pugh@...