Re: [Scrum] Daily Sprint?

  • Heitor Roriz Filho
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
      Oh LOL - I teach modules 1 and 2 of CSD myself and never thought about it :)
      The examples/projects of development in our CSD classes are really small games, for example. I am not sure yer it would make sense in a real project. Maybe with very good preparation before beginning.

      Thanks Stefan.

      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Stefan Roock <stefan.roock@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      one collegue said, he did daily sprints successfully.

      In the CSD classes the teams program in sprints that are only 90 minutes.

      These were/are small projects. I haven't seen daily sprints for larger products but I wouldn't say it is impossible. Currently there is a lot of buzz around continuous deployment. I think that will make daily sprints much more practical.

      Stefan

      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:
      We had a discussion about it several months ago - just got curious about it once again.
      Is there someone who (still) thinks daily Sprints are feasible?

      Heitor

      Dipl.-Inform. Stefan Roock
      Senior IT-Berater, Certified Scrum Trainer

      it-agile GmbH
      Paul-Stritter-Weg 5, D-22297 Hamburg

      Geschäftsführer: Henning Wolf, Jens Coldewey
      Handelregister Hamburg, HRB: 92261
      Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE239483021

      Fon:    +49 40 88173-300
      Fax:    +49 40 88173-333
      Mobile: +49 172 429 76 17
      E-Mail: stefan.roock@...

      http://www.it-agile.de

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        Right now the CSD is not standardized in any meaningful way other than
        the syllabus and instructor resume being vetted by someone at the SA.

        The Agile Skills Network class, designed by Ron Jeffries and Chet
        Hendrickson, actually does have you do one day Sprints on a realish
        project. I say realish, because Ron and Chet have already worked out
        what the stories are and are feeding them to you in priority order. On
        a real project this may very well be the hardest thing to get down to
        a single day resolution.

        On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:

        > Oh LOL - I teach modules 1 and 2 of CSD myself and never thought about it :)
        >
        > The examples/projects of development in our CSD classes are really small games, for example. I am not sure yer it would make sense in a real project. Maybe with very good preparation before beginning.
        > Thanks Stefan.
        >
        > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Stefan Roock <stefan.roock@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >> one collegue said, he did daily sprints successfully.
        >> In the CSD classes the teams program in sprints that are only 90 minutes.
        >> These were/are small projects. I haven't seen daily sprints for larger products but I wouldn't say it is impossible. Currently there is a lot of buzz around continuous deployment. I think that will make daily sprints much more practical.
        >> Stefan
        >>
        >> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:
        >>>
        >>> We had a discussion about it several months ago - just got curious about it once again.
        >>> Is there someone who (still) thinks daily Sprints are feasible?
        >>> Heitor
        >>>
        >>> --
        >>

        >> --
        >> Dipl.-Inform. Stefan Roock
        >> Senior IT-Berater, Certified Scrum Trainer
        >>
        >> it-agile GmbH
        >> Paul-Stritter-Weg 5, D-22297 Hamburg
        >>
        >> Geschäftsführer: Henning Wolf, Jens Coldewey
        >> Handelregister Hamburg, HRB: 92261
        >> Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE239483021
        >>
        >> Fon:    +49 40 88173-300
        >> Fax:    +49 40 88173-333
        >> Mobile: +49 172 429 76 17
        >> E-Mail: stefan.roock@...
        >>
        >> http://www.it-agile.de
        >>
        >> --

      • Heitor Roriz Filho
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010

          what the stories are and are feeding them to you in priority order. On
          a real project this may very well be the hardest thing to get down to
          a single day resolution.

          Indeed. Same here with Massimus and Kleer in Brazil and Argentina. Might be feasible.
          I believe complexity will be a major driver: if too much initial complexity then not. If less initial complexity then yes.

          On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:

          > Oh LOL - I teach modules 1 and 2 of CSD myself and never thought about it :)
          >
          > The examples/projects of development in our CSD classes are really small games, for example. I am not sure yer it would make sense in a real project. Maybe with very good preparation before beginning.
          > Thanks Stefan.
          >
          > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Stefan Roock <stefan.roock@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi,
          >> one collegue said, he did daily sprints successfully.
          >> In the CSD classes the teams program in sprints that are only 90 minutes.
          >> These were/are small projects. I haven't seen daily sprints for larger products but I wouldn't say it is impossible. Currently there is a lot of buzz around continuous deployment. I think that will make daily sprints much more practical.
          >> Stefan
          >>
          >> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> We had a discussion about it several months ago - just got curious about it once again.
          >>> Is there someone who (still) thinks daily Sprints are feasible?
          >>> Heitor
          >>>
          >>> --
          >>

          >> --
          >> Dipl.-Inform. Stefan Roock
          >> Senior IT-Berater, Certified Scrum Trainer
          >>
          >> it-agile GmbH
          >> Paul-Stritter-Weg 5, D-22297 Hamburg
          >>
          >> Geschäftsführer: Henning Wolf, Jens Coldewey
          >> Handelregister Hamburg, HRB: 92261
          >> Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE239483021
          >>
          >> Fon:    +49 40 88173-300
          >> Fax:    +49 40 88173-333
          >> Mobile: +49 172 429 76 17
          >> E-Mail: stefan.roock@...
          >>
          >> http://www.it-agile.de
          >>
          >> --

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Heitor Roriz Filho
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
            George,

            On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:

            what the stories are and are feeding them to you in priority order. On
            a real project this may very well be the hardest thing to get down to
            a single day resolution.

            Indeed. Same here with Massimus and Kleer in Brazil and Argentina. Might be feasible.
            I believe complexity will be a major driver: if too much initial complexity then not. If less initial complexity then yes.

            The two lines immediately above. I believe in its feasibility now. Inspection and adaptation on demand.