Re: Metrics to report up - and the answer is ..

  • karatasfamily
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 4, 2010
      Looks like the person who asked the question did not get the answer so far.

      Regardless of the method you use to deliver a product, scrum or not, the management wants to see a couple of things:
      - what are you doing,
      - when are you doing,
      - are you on schedule,
      - are you on budget?

      So, this is not really a scrum question but a question of software management reporting . Therefore, I recommend thinking in terms of these points above, and not scrum. Depending on the project, you should show the major breakdowns of work, milestones, estimated dates and how you are doing in terms of the estimates.

      We use iterative development sprints but do not roll that up to management. As far as they know, we are workig on module X and we are Y days ahead of schedule so far.

      I hope this helps - Alan

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

      > Couple comments
      >
      > Metrics that are important to the team are cycle time and velocity. One cannot use these numbers though to compare teams but they can be used to compare one teams progress across multiple sprints.
      >
      > One should not get caught up in the metrics however. What's important is that the team continues to deliver high quality code in priority order sprint after sprint after sprint.
      >
      > Measure customer or end user satisfaction rather if that's possible.
      >
      > Hope this helps
      > Jack
      > www.agilebuddy.com
      > blog.agilebuddy.com
      > twitter.com/agilebuddy
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM, PSM I" <chuck-lists2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What metrics should we report up? Which ones shouldn't we report up?
      > >
      > > An example:
      > > A department has 3 dev teams that all report to one Senior Manager. That Senior
      > > Manager reports along with a few others to a VP.
      > >
      > > What metrics, if any, would you suggest to report from the team to the Sr. Mgr?
      > > What metrics, if any, would you suggest to report from the Sr. Mgr up to the VP?
      > >
      > > This is something I don't have a lot of experience in, so I'd appreciate any
      > > feedback.
      > >
      > > Charles

    • Hariprakash Agrawal
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 13, 2010
        I have come across this scenario very often (almost 95% products/projects) in which defects escape and I have seen this irrespective of methodologies (or practices) used. Human can make mistakes (at every phase/activity) for various reasons however we would like to keep improving ourselves continuously. We measure 'defects escaped' and take it seriously, means, we get to the root cause and invest in required trainings/expectations.

        We focus on design & code quality metrics, like, cyclomatic complexity, fan-in, fan-out, depth (inheritance) and run some code quality tools to check coding standard compliance and other parameters (like, memory leakage etc). We report this to management as well to keep them in loop. We measure test related metrics, like, # of test cases (manual vs automated), first time pass ratio, # of defects (open, fixed, closed, postponed) etc.

        We do not focus much on velocity, thanks to this forum. We track release burn down, # of stories committed / # of stories achieved (to keep improving team's commitment level), # of demos accepted/ rejected by PO, # of times team got changes in middle of sprint (it is minimal but not zero yet, this helps in deciding sprint length, puts back-pressure on PO) and few more (customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction).

        For us, agile is mix of Scrum and XP practices hence we focus on both.

        Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
        Managing Director | Agile Coach | http://opcord.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash
        Software Testing (QTP, Selenium, JMeter, AutoIT, Sahi, NUnit, VB/Java Script, Manual) || Consulting / Trainings (Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Testing
        )

        On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, woynam. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 10:12:25 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Sorry, but I don't see how "defects" can escape. If you're
        > writing automated tests for every story, an "escaped" defect means
        > that you ignored the failing test. Is that really that common?

        It is possible, and not all that unlikely, to miss a test or write
        one incorrectly. It would be possible, I suppose, to define Done as
        "passes whatever tests we wrote" but that strikes me as a bit too
        lax.

        So an escaped defect would be something we didn't like, that we
        agree we understood and somehow failed to get implemented and
        tested.

        Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.