Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Metrics to report up

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 2, 2010
      Hi, Doug,

      On 11/2/10 7:23 AM, Doug wrote:
      > How can management quantitatively measure team's performance, again
      > with the objective of determining whether they need to improve?

      How does a manager quantitatively measure his or her own performance to
      determine whether they need to improve? Perhaps the same measurement
      will work for the team?

      Or, perhaps...
      - quantitative measures might not be necessary to determine the need
      for improvement
      - improvement might be taken as something you want to do all the time,
      not just when quantitatively deficient

      > Can anybody point to any blogs/posts/books discussing the topic of
      > performance assessment for agile teams?

      Peter Senge, in The Fifth Discipline, points out the need for learning
      *all the time*.

      Esther Derby's blog, "Insights you can use," often touches on management
      topics. http://www.estherderby.com/tag/performance-appraisals

      - George

      --
      Nov 15-16 Agile Testing Workshop in Orlando
      http://www.sqe.com/AgileDevPracticesEast/Workshop/
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 13, 2010
        I have come across this scenario very often (almost 95% products/projects) in which defects escape and I have seen this irrespective of methodologies (or practices) used. Human can make mistakes (at every phase/activity) for various reasons however we would like to keep improving ourselves continuously. We measure 'defects escaped' and take it seriously, means, we get to the root cause and invest in required trainings/expectations.

        We focus on design & code quality metrics, like, cyclomatic complexity, fan-in, fan-out, depth (inheritance) and run some code quality tools to check coding standard compliance and other parameters (like, memory leakage etc). We report this to management as well to keep them in loop. We measure test related metrics, like, # of test cases (manual vs automated), first time pass ratio, # of defects (open, fixed, closed, postponed) etc.

        We do not focus much on velocity, thanks to this forum. We track release burn down, # of stories committed / # of stories achieved (to keep improving team's commitment level), # of demos accepted/ rejected by PO, # of times team got changes in middle of sprint (it is minimal but not zero yet, this helps in deciding sprint length, puts back-pressure on PO) and few more (customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction).

        For us, agile is mix of Scrum and XP practices hence we focus on both.

        Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
        Managing Director | Agile Coach | http://opcord.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash
        Software Testing (QTP, Selenium, JMeter, AutoIT, Sahi, NUnit, VB/Java Script, Manual) || Consulting / Trainings (Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Testing
        )

        On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, woynam. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 10:12:25 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Sorry, but I don't see how "defects" can escape. If you're
        > writing automated tests for every story, an "escaped" defect means
        > that you ignored the failing test. Is that really that common?

        It is possible, and not all that unlikely, to miss a test or write
        one incorrectly. It would be possible, I suppose, to define Done as
        "passes whatever tests we wrote" but that strikes me as a bit too
        lax.

        So an escaped defect would be something we didn't like, that we
        agree we understood and somehow failed to get implemented and
        tested.

        Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.