technical debt hits the bottom line at EBay

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
      I read an interesting statement in today's Wall Street Journal, "EBay’s system, which involved 25 million lines of inflexible code, soon became a liability. The company, for example, couldn’t figure out which of its hundreds of thousands of 'iPod' listings were for a given model or for iPod accessories. EBay’s challenges with outdated technology are common for Web pioneers, whose systems were built with custom software that is now too old and rigid to adapt to a competitive and fastmoving market."

      Anyone here work on EBay's stuff and willing to talk about it?

      --mj
      http://ScrumReferenceCard.com
    • Shaik Mohammed Saheb
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2010
        Can you please give me more info on where you read this?

        Thanks in advance.

        Cheers,
        Shaik

        On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:
        I read an interesting statement in today's Wall Street Journal, "EBay’s system, which involved 25 million lines of inflexible code, soon became a liability. The company, for example, couldn’t figure out which of its hundreds of thousands of 'iPod' listings were for a given model or for iPod accessories. EBay’s challenges with outdated technology are common for Web pioneers, whose systems were built with custom software that is now too old and rigid to adapt to a competitive and fastmoving market."

        Anyone here work on EBay's stuff and willing to talk about it?

        --mj
        http://ScrumReferenceCard.com

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Michael James
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2010
          See if you can still find Nov 1 Wall Street Journal, probably in the Marketplace section.

          Elsewhere I've heard EBay is flirting with Scrum now.

          --mj
          http://ScrumReferenceCard.com

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: Shaik Mohammed Saheb <shaikms@...>

[...]