Metrics to report up

  • Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM, PSM I
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 31, 2010
      What metrics should we report up?  Which ones shouldn't we report up?

      An example:
      A department has 3 dev teams that all report to one Senior Manager.  That Senior Manager reports along with a few others to a VP.

      What metrics, if any, would you suggest to report from the team to the Sr. Mgr?
      What metrics, if any, would you suggest to report from the Sr. Mgr up to the VP?

      This is something I don't have a lot of experience in, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

      Charles

    • Hariprakash Agrawal
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 13, 2010
        I have come across this scenario very often (almost 95% products/projects) in which defects escape and I have seen this irrespective of methodologies (or practices) used. Human can make mistakes (at every phase/activity) for various reasons however we would like to keep improving ourselves continuously. We measure 'defects escaped' and take it seriously, means, we get to the root cause and invest in required trainings/expectations.

        We focus on design & code quality metrics, like, cyclomatic complexity, fan-in, fan-out, depth (inheritance) and run some code quality tools to check coding standard compliance and other parameters (like, memory leakage etc). We report this to management as well to keep them in loop. We measure test related metrics, like, # of test cases (manual vs automated), first time pass ratio, # of defects (open, fixed, closed, postponed) etc.

        We do not focus much on velocity, thanks to this forum. We track release burn down, # of stories committed / # of stories achieved (to keep improving team's commitment level), # of demos accepted/ rejected by PO, # of times team got changes in middle of sprint (it is minimal but not zero yet, this helps in deciding sprint length, puts back-pressure on PO) and few more (customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction).

        For us, agile is mix of Scrum and XP practices hence we focus on both.

        Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
        Managing Director | Agile Coach | http://opcord.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash
        Software Testing (QTP, Selenium, JMeter, AutoIT, Sahi, NUnit, VB/Java Script, Manual) || Consulting / Trainings (Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Testing
        )

        On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, woynam. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 10:12:25 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Sorry, but I don't see how "defects" can escape. If you're
        > writing automated tests for every story, an "escaped" defect means
        > that you ignored the failing test. Is that really that common?

        It is possible, and not all that unlikely, to miss a test or write
        one incorrectly. It would be possible, I suppose, to define Done as
        "passes whatever tests we wrote" but that strikes me as a bit too
        lax.

        So an escaped defect would be something we didn't like, that we
        agree we understood and somehow failed to get implemented and
        tested.

        Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.