Re: [scrumdevelopment] Daily Scrum Patterns and Anti-Patterns?

  • John Goodsen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
      Josh,

      Limit your stories in progress.  Swarm on a story at a time. If your team lacks the discipline to finish a story before starting another then try using WIP limits - aka Kanban. This is how Kanban makes Scrum better - with explicit WIP limits that the team respects.

      Better to end a sprint with 2 stories done than 4 stories half done.  In the long run you'll get more stories done by limiting how many are in dev at a time.  Hope that helps.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 7, 2010, at 11:45 AM, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@...> wrote:

      Hi Josh,

      I have indeed observed this behavior many times my self.  One thing that jumps out to me right away is that you mention "sometimes we are assigned tasks....".  I like to see team members sign up for tasks, rather than receive assignments.  If we can, as a team, agree to only sign up for the top priority story's tasks until that story is done, we will see a lot more throughput on "done".  Folks will be able to "jump in" more as they are already working together on that story.  It is absolutely true that the lower value stories, as defined by the product owner, will be "at risk of non-completion", but honestly right now *all* of the stories are at risk of non-completion.

      I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with rotating the scrum master, but if you can't have a dedicated full time scrum master, this is a workable compromise.

      It looks like you know your stuff here.  Rely on that understanding as you help your team move the ball.

      Steve