Re: Diminishing ROI with NO Automation in Agile development

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
      Perhaps I work in a different type of IT shop than the typical developer, but I'm really astonished that in 2010 someone can suggest that we can live without automated tests. (The comment is not directed at you, Don.)

      Our system consists of over 2 million lines of code. A single test plan for a single complex feature takes ~70 pages to print, given that there are hundreds of variations.

      If you printed the entire set of tests (single sided), it would be over 6 feet tall. I know, we did it once for fun, and to provide a important visual clue. :-)

      Before we automated the vast majority of the tests, it would take over a month to manually execute the test suite.

      Now, how on earth can someone suggest that they're doing agile development, delivering working software every few weeks, when the execution of manual tests alone would account for weeks of time?

      On top of that, the vast majority of (regression) tests do not fail when they're run each the end of each iteration. What a colossal waste of time it would be to have your talented team poking away at the system, when they could be adding value elsewhere.

      Mark