Re: [scrumdevelopment] KRA's for an Agile Coach

  • Ajay Danait
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
      Sharing the context when providing explanations over generic theoretical base only.

      On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 16:59, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

      > What could be the KRA's for an Agile Coach?

      Here's one: communicates clearly. For instance EAOFTU (*).

      (*) Expanding Acronyms On First Time Use.

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
        Yep. Or what about: Avoiding excessive initialisms, particularly when most of the audience has no idea what they mean.

        On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Ajay Danait <ajaydanait@...> wrote:

        Sharing the context when providing explanations over generic theoretical base only.

        On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 16:59, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

        > What could be the KRA's for an Agile Coach?

        Here's one: communicates clearly. For instance EAOFTU (*).

        (*) Expanding Acronyms On First Time Use.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...

      • Alan Dayley
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
          Shaik,

          To be direct: What does KRA mean?

          Alan

          On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Shaik <shaikms@...> wrote:

          Hi All,

          What could be the KRA's for an Agile Coach?

          Thanks & Cheers,
          Shaik

        • Paul Hudson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
            Almost certainly key result areas - dimensions of performance measurement.

            Shaik,  the usual followup question to anyone asking about metrics for Scrum or Scrum team members is to ask why you are wanting to measure performance. It's a good question, so I'l ask it :) Only then is it really possible to answer what measures might help towards that goal (and be prepared for a discussion about why it's not easy to measure performance and how attempts to do so can be counter-productive)

            Paul

            On 4 October 2010 19:50, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

            Shaik,

            To be direct: What does KRA mean?

            Alan

            On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Shaik <shaikms@...> wrote:

            Hi All,

            What could be the KRA's for an Agile Coach?

            Thanks & Cheers,
            Shaik

          • Hariprakash Agrawal
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
              Dear Shaik,

              I face this scenario every now and then whenever someone plan to hire me as an agile coach. Like it or not, this is the reality that most companies wish to measure the performance. Now, the question is that can performance be measured only quantitative way or can it be also measured qualitatively?

              When I got my first independent (as a freelancer, before that I was with a large organization as internal agile coach) agile assignment about an year back, this KRA (Key Result Areas) question came up. I had to think hard as Agile is not fond of metrics. I also felt that senior mgmt is not interested in agile per say and they shared some issues, challenges and was interested in improving them. I had discussions with CEO, Senior managers, senior developers/testers to understand their challenges and came up with few common objectives, which were/are:

              1. To reduce bugs found by internal testing team in the product
              2. To improve commitment to schedules / deadlines by improving  estimation capability of involved stakeholders
              3. To define clear roles and responsibilities to improve accountability among employees
              4. To utilize expertise of employees by equally loading them all the time
              5. To enable managers as mentors by reducing time spent on tracking subordinates
              6. To improve quality of code further to reuse same code base in multiple products
              7. To strengthen reviews process to improve overall product quality
              8. To deploy unit testing for all components
              9. To improve test cases and product quality
              10. To improve build and release process

              All above objectives can be described as KRAs. Now, the questions is how do we measure it. You may like to read the case study to know my way of trying to measure it. In my view, No methodology or coach is good enough if it cannot guarantee results. The only point is that results can be intangible as well. I dont know whether it is the only way to measure it or not but so far, its working for me. I also do not claim that I have implemented pure agile practices only to achieve above mentioned objectives but 80% or more are from agile. Like, I find it very difficult to impress upon on pair-programming hence we settle for more rigorous reviews. For me, agile is combination of XP and Scrum and I try to instill both in the culture.

              One of the best comment, I heard from a CEO who attended one of the retrospective session and he mentioned that I felt that team is feeling good about everything. They are sharing, doing things together and that mattered most to him.

              Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
              http://opcord.com - OpCord provides services in the areas of Manual / Automated Testing using QTP, Selenium, JUnit, AutoIT, Sahi, NUnit, VB/Java Script etc and Consulting / Trainings on Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Engineering etc.
              About me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash