Re: Why does Scrum has a role for PO?

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 1 11:30 AM
      I never said anything about project managers. We have projects, but not project managers.

      Our teams are assigned projects. Depending on the project size, one team may be simultaneously working on multiple projects within a release, or one large project may be split across multiple teams.

      The teams don't worty about the budget, as that's handled by our department heads, who cross-cut projects.

      Teams work on features/stories, which are associated with projects.

      The other rub is that our "product" supports multiple exchanges, and multiple child organizations. We use the projects to split the costs across the different cost centers.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >

      > > For us, a "project" is a collection of features that must be deployed together. It takes the systems from version 1.2 to 1.3.
      > >

      > That is not uncommon.
      >
      > > The budget process revolves around projects. The backlog is essentially a collection of prioritized projects. One could probably say that our project is more or less an epic.
      > >

      > Yep.
      >
      > > We execute ~200 projects in a year. I'm sure it's possible, but I can't imagine managing a backlog of >10,000 features, given that each project is comprised of ~10 to 50 features.
      > >

      > Sounds busy ;-)
      >
      > > As an example, we were required by the SEC to implement new short-sale rules. This project cut across numerous groups, numerous systems, and numerous business units. At some point, we have to be able to tell the SEC that we've finished implementing the new rules. Using a project as a container for these changes is one way to handle it.
      > >

      > Certainly.
      >
      > > That said, I agree with you in general. The concept of the *big* project goes away. Small projects and epics begin to look the same.
      > >

      > Small projects are much better than big projects. However, if you have
      > small projects with small timelines and small budgets you still need
      > someone to manage them. So, it still makes sense to have a project
      > manager.
      >
      > The project manager's role might be slightly different in Scrum,
      > because she should be managing the budget and reporting back to
      > whoever it is that cares about budgets, but she should not be managing
      > the team. As long as she is not managing the team you can still be
      > doing Scrum.
      >
      > However, you could still do better than this. I content that you would
      > still be more effective if you had a product focus rather than a
      > project focus.
      >
      > > One sticking point is the Accounting Department. Some projects are capitalized, and provide some accounting benefit. (Don't ask me what, as I'm not an accountant). They need to know when a project is done, so they can start writing off the investment. If you only have a continuously churning backlog of features, it's fairly difficult to say "this represents a capital expense", especially when the rules for capitalization are fairly narrowly defined.
      > >

      > Accountants need to know what you are spending money on. Primarily
      > they are concerned with whether the money is being used to acquire
      > assets or to keep the business running. Software development could fit
      > into either of these categories although usually it is the latter.
      >
      > It is not necessary to maintain a project focus in order to manage
      > these numbers. In fact, it would be slightly less complicated if you
      > managed on a product basis rather than a project basis. However,
      > project basis is taught in school, and is probably what the
      > accountants have always done. That's not a very good reason to avoid

    • Don MacIntyre
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 5 3:17 AM
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:
        >You must have some great stories to tell. Have you ever written any of it down?

        Hi Greg, Thanks. No, I have not found the time to do any writing but it is certainly something I'd love to find time for.

        (But then if I was really writing I wouldn't be able to start sentences with 'but' and end with prepositions. ;)

        -don
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/26043-don-macintyre