Re: Criteria for choosing ScrumMaster and Product Owner

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010

      > I had let people who has domain knowledge, good communication, co-ordination skills,
      > etc to try Product Owner. While for ScrumMaster, my first thought would be let the
      > natural leader try ScrumMaster. In general it works fine, except that some people still
      > used to follow the ScrumMaster instead of actively participanting in decision making and
      > be accountable.

      For a PO, I think it is important to have someone in the role who is respected by the business and knows how to build relationships with other stakeholders. So much of a PO's job is to find the stakeholders, understand their needs and set expectations. They should have some knowledge of the product\business and be willing to learn more.

      An SM needs maturity and a calm demeanor. Like the PO, the SM also has to build relationships with the stakeholders, but they are trying to understand the nature of the organizational impediments and figure out how to remove them (or minimize them). They have to really "get" Scrum and believe the answer is (always) with the Team. Sorry I cannot be more precise than that, but thankfully you can train most people on what Scrum is about and they can help facilitate self-organization.

      A word of caution about filling the SM role - don't put technical people, like tech lead, in this role. They HATE it!

      Carlton