Re: Why does Scrum has a role for PO?

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 1, 2010

      > "advanced" is one way to think of it. "reality" might be another way
      > to think of it. I think it's context. If you look at lean startups,
      > you'll rarely find a "PO" role, but you'll find a lot of success. If
      > you look into more traditional orgs that are trying to become more
      > agile with scrum, you'll find that they try to pin somebody into the
      > "PO" role. I've worked with dozens of Scrum teams now and I can count
      > with the fingers on one hand where the product owner actually had a
      > grip on the business requirements that the business and technical team
      > expected. I think we're seeing this as yet another example how hard
      > it is to walk into an organization and ask them to redefine roles
      > apriori to adopting Agile development. Another example why I like
      > Kanban with XP over Scrum.

      That is a misunderstanding of the role of PO - the PO is simply responsible for the business outcomes. When I teach PO about the role I make it very clear they are accountable for the business results of the Team. With the accountability, they are also given a great deal of freedom and authority to prioritize and adjust the direction of the Team.

      When I see the situation you describe, PO are not taking the role very seriously and\or accountability is weak in the organization. When I see people understand they are accountable, I see them partnering with other knowledgable people in the organization to get up to speed on the business requirements. What you describe is an organizational dysfunction, not a weakness of Scrum.

      Carlton
    • Don MacIntyre
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 5, 2010
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:
        >You must have some great stories to tell. Have you ever written any of it down?

        Hi Greg, Thanks. No, I have not found the time to do any writing but it is certainly something I'd love to find time for.

        (But then if I was really writing I wouldn't be able to start sentences with 'but' and end with prepositions. ;)

        -don
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/26043-don-macintyre