Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why does Scrum has a role for PO?

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 29, 2010
      I tend to view roles as checklists, not as laws of nature.

      Scrum defines a Product Owner role as a bundle of responsibilites,
      among which at least:
      - prioritize the product backlog
      - provide detail and acceptance criteria for user stories
      - declare each user story satisfactory or not at demo time
      - conduct any research necessary into end users' situations and desires
      - keep the product backlog current and relevant
      - assess whether the project should stop or continue at sprint's end

      I find myself in strong agreement with Ron on the idea that "the main
      determinant of a project's success is what people do".

      In particular, I think it matters less *who* does *what* specific
      thing, than it does that *all* the specific things be done that are
      required for a project to achieve its objectives, and that they be
      done well. Roles are a way of reminding us of what things need to be
      done.

      (And by contrast with the above, I do think there are "laws of nature"
      as to which things will endanger a project if they are not done, or
      enhance its chances of success if they are done. These laws may be
      probabilistic in nature, they may be sensitive to context, but I do
      not doubt the existence of strong regularities in project work.)

      The project will not suffer if the responsibilities of the Product
      Owner role are carried out by a single person or split among several
      people, as long as the split does not degrade how well these things
      are done. Maybe that's a big condition.

      On the other hand, these responsibilities are more related to each
      other than any one of them is to, for instance, the "write unit tests"
      responsibility. It does make some sense to have a single person take
      them on.

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • Don MacIntyre
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 5, 2010
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:
        >You must have some great stories to tell. Have you ever written any of it down?

        Hi Greg, Thanks. No, I have not found the time to do any writing but it is certainly something I'd love to find time for.

        (But then if I was really writing I wouldn't be able to start sentences with 'but' and end with prepositions. ;)

        -don
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/26043-don-macintyre