Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to think about the project as a whole when I implement the scrum process

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2010
      Hello, bob_wang_bob. On Saturday, September 25, 2010, at 9:53:40
      PM, you wrote:

      > I am new to scrum. But I feel confused when I implement scrum
      > process. If we prioritized all the user stories and start with the
      > most valuable one. How could we determined which structure should
      > be adopted before hand to make it flexible without knowing the rest of the user stories.

      First of all, the future stories are not secret. You can and should
      know a lot about what the overall picture is.

      Second, flexibility in design is created, not by up front planning
      but by building code which is flexible, without building function
      needed only in the future before it is needed. Modularity: low
      coupling and high cohesion, produces a good design without
      over-building.

      Effective teams use refactoring to improve the design as they go.
      This does require skill, and does not preclude thinking beforehand.
      Thinking is good. Then we build what we need today, evolving toward
      what we need tomorrow.

      Martin Fowler's book, "Refactoring", is the definitive book on the
      details of refactoring.

      You might also enjoy:

      http://xprogramming.com/blog/why-is-refactoring-a-must/

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's;
      I will not reason and compare; my business is to create. --William Blake